Sulcata Backyard (Work in Progress)

Tortlex

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
So here are pictures of my backyard tortoise enclosure for my two 2.5 year old sulcata tortoises (Copper and Einstein). This is still very much a work in progress. It's about a 15 foot x 15 foot enclosed space. I am already looking into ways to separate the two, to prevent any problems. I am sure they will quickly outgrow this space.

The grass was planted from seed and includes a blend of numerous fescues, buffalo grass, blue grama, little and big bluestem, bermuda, orchard, and western wheatgrass. (I clip and feed this blend to my baby hatchlings every day)

The hide needs to be rebricked and set up better. I am in the process of getting bricks cut to size. Then I will line the inner sides with a thin plastic clear plexi so they do not wear themselves down trying to dig through it. It has been dug out about 3 feet deep and reblended dirt/soil mix replaced back into the hole partially filling it so they can burrow in the hot summer months. I'll likely have to remove more dirt before placing the reinforced sandstone top over it. The torts are not currently outside at the moment due to it being too cold at night.

The plants are hibiscus bushes and trees for shade and the occasional feeding of leaves and flowers that bloom on a daily basis. Don't mind the string hanging in the pics, it was being used as a template for the removable sunshade sail that I am installing over the top of the yard enclosure. There is brickwork buried flush up against the underside of the fence around the entire perimeter, preventing escape and also entry of unwanted animals/predators. I will also be installing a misting system and string lights to better see things as needed at night.

I need to install a water reservoir still and will be removing the table, plant pots and decorative planters to prevent injury and for increased space. I'll be placing more flat rocky areas and some stepping stones likely too. Here are the pictures...

IMG_1095.jpg IMG_1096.jpg IMG_1097.jpg IMG_1098.jpg IMG_1099.jpg IMG_1100.jpg IMG_1101.jpg IMG_1102.jpg IMG_1103.jpgIMG_1095.jpg IMG_1096.jpg IMG_1097.jpg IMG_1098.jpg IMG_1099.jpg IMG_1100.jpg IMG_1101.jpg IMG_1102.jpg IMG_1103.jpg