Sulcata baby skin issue/ help?

shawnateerow

Location (City and/or State)
Maurice
my baby sulcata has had what looks like a small scab on his cheek since on got him, but seems to have gotten worse. What could I use to help him heal?

Also, he had a small bump on his skin fold on the back of his neck that kind of looked like a little ant bite. It has gotten bigger and is hard to the touch. Any ideas??

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 20200918_154436.jpg
    20200918_154436.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 155
  • 20200918_154442.jpg
    20200918_154442.jpg
    766.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 20200918_154818.jpg
    20200918_154818.jpg
    614.9 KB · Views: 151

zovick

10 Year Member!
my baby sulcata has had what looks like a small scab on his cheek since on got him, but seems to have gotten worse. What could I use to help him heal?

Also, he had a small bump on his skin fold on the back of his neck that kind of looked like a little ant bite. It has gotten bigger and is hard to the touch. Any ideas??

You could try Neosporin Ointment. Put it on a cotton swap and dab it on the area once or twice a day to see if it will heal.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
IF you want to try to get rid of these you need antibiotics not neosporin. the best thing for the skin is silver sulfadiazine but it is script only (not the fake stuff amazon sells). and we used injectable fortaz. DO NOT i repeat DO NOT put these anywhere near any other reptiles and do not touch them anymore then touch surfaces we will have a better idea of what this is next week but if its what we think its not good and they will have to be euthanized. i hate to say that. this is HIGHLY contagious among torts we do know that. we had three of our own with this as well as a few others come in for us to look at this and even after the bumps go away the babies do not grow and so far i have yet to know any one except us who has any still alive from this. and those 2 will be going out this week for testing. (one already passed), to clean surfaces you or they have touched you need to use straight ammonia or a high concentrate ammonia based sanitizer and let it sit wet for around 20 min. or heat over 165 for 10+ minutes. again this is if these are caused by what we think they are. bleach will NOT kill this nor does chlorhex. imo those look really bad and i can not believe they sent them like that.

Last edited:

shawnateerow

Maurice
IF you want to try to get rid of these you need antibiotics not neosporin. the best thing for the skin is silver sulfadiazine but it is script only (not the fake stuff amazon sells). and we used injectable fortaz. DO NOT i repeat DO NOT put these anywhere near any other reptiles and do not touch them anymore then touch surfaces we will have a better idea of what this is next week but if its what we think its not good and they will have to be euthanized. i hate to say that. this is HIGHLY contagious among torts we do know that. we had three of our own with this as well as a few others come in for us to look at this and even after the bumps go away the babies do not grow and so far i have yet to know any one except us who has any still alive from this. and those 2 will be going out this week for testing. (one already passed), to clean surfaces you or they have touched you need to use straight ammonia or a high concentrate ammonia based sanitizer and let it sit wet for around 20 min. or heat over 165 for 10+ minutes. again this is if these are caused by what we think they are. bleach will NOT kill this nor does chlorhex. imo those look really bad and i can not believe they sent them like that.

Do you know what it is exactly? If its what you're thinking...

shawnateerow

Maurice
I got 2 babies at first, one died suddenly (not sure if this was the cause, but pretty likely)..i discovered tiny fire ants were in their table. I think they came from the bag of soil.

When bowser passed:( I didn't want coopa to be alone, so I got 2 more. Bonnie has one tiny yellow bump that still looks like a little ant bite, and clyde is the baby in the pics. The bump on his neck was tiny, and now looks like that

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
its possible they could be ant bites but that looks like the same thing we have been seeing all over the place. we believe its related to whats called cryptosporidiosis if it is there is no cure.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
also know sulcata are really solitary animals they dont need any friends to be happy and many times there can be fights or bullying going on

shawnateerow

Maurice
Where are you getting them tested? And what kinds of tests? If you have any pictures of these yellow bumps please post!

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
2 different testing labs one who specializes in crypto. tests include pcr, ifa and actual necropsy are being done. you can simply check the forum here for many cases shown. this is not the best pic (i am sending this on my phone at the moment and all actual research is on my laptop) but here is one pic, they get harder after this and darker. like more deeper yellow and look just like the one on the neck you showed. we do in fact know how contagious this is, it is the same thing shown. again im not saying they are def not ant bites but it does look like what we have been seeing many people posting here and on facebook etc. and i personally have in hand seen 9 of them in person myself (3 were ones we received the others were ones people brought to us to look at)

Attachments

• tort bumps.png
    tort bumps.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
this pic is not mine but they start to look like this as the bumps dry up some

Attachments

• E6F54277-4007-4C95-8C17-82991CB4EFEA.jpeg
    E6F54277-4007-4C95-8C17-82991CB4EFEA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 70

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
animals will be leaving monday to go to a testing lab for necropsy. as soon as i have them i will update this forum and have results etc. trust me i understand how much this sucks first hand, three of the animals were our own. and were already considered family here.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
This is a long shot but is there a chance that there is a bacteria In food? For example are all the torts eating Mazuri (just an example nothing stuck on brand), or possibly using same substrate?

pcrealty

Wynnewood

This maybe a wild caught tortoise instead of a captive bred. Wild caught has a lot of imperfections.