Sulcata and Soaking

Yeetster

Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia
At what age would it be okay to use cold water for soaking I have a kitty pool and I was just gonna fill it up with hose water while outside and soak?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Interesting question. I plan to never soak mine in less than 80-85 degree water at the very coolest.

Yeetster

West Virginia
Interesting question. I plan to never soak mine in less than 80-85 degree water at the very coolest.

Okay I was thinking maybe I could get them outside in the sun for an hour while they soaked but maybe I’ll boil some water and mix it with the cold water.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings....personally i wouldnt ever soak in “cold” water. This past Summer when temps were way up in the high 90’s, id fill up our soaking tub and let it sit in the hot sun all day. By mid-afternoon or so, the tub had warmed up well above 80, and id soak our Sully. I never soaked in cold water right from the outside tap.

Here’s a recent soaking on one of those nice hot days.. The sun would really warm the water up nicely.

4BA2AF22-222F-450B-9608-AE23834FE4DA.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Let it warm up in the sun before putting the tortoise in it. Sometime I use a five gallon bucket to transport warm water into my soaking tubs. Would that work?

Yeetster

West Virginia
Let it warm up in the sun before putting the tortoise in it. Sometime I use a five gallon bucket to transport warm water into my soaking tubs. Would that work?

Yeah that’s what I am going to do. Thanks

Bee62

Germany
It is no good idea to soak a cold blooded animal like a tortoise in cold water. The temp of the body core sinks and the tortoise slows down. The tortoise will need a lot of warmth after a "cold" soak to get the body temp high again. In the meanwhile the tort is prone to get a RI.
That`s why I would never soak a tortoise in cold water.