Sulcata and Sand

Florida

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
There is a little box at the lower left when you type in a response to a post that says "Attach files" with a little paper clip next to it. Just click that box and upload your pic. Then click the green "full image" box after uploading, followed by "Post reply" when you are all done.
Let's try this! Sulcatas with topper.jpg

Florida

Florida
Thanks Tom. It worked. Now I have the boys outside. Heat lamp is inside the dome. I control it. I don't trust timers. I had to use Hardware cloth because I have way too many animals who wonder what tort meat taste like. Open to all positive criticism.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was reading another forum and for my med spur thigh I was told a mix of sand and top soil.... I was using a coconut substrate before but I have a hatchling and she was struggling to walk on it.

If avoided the pellets, and been told hay is to drying. I'm very very confused as to what to do. I only out the sand and top soil in today and it was a disaster!!!

She's covered in the stuff, her little claws, face, even had it in her eyes!!!

I immediately took it all out and went back to coco but substrate mixed with a little hay.

What should I use?

She is 3 months old.

You had it right the first time. Coco coir is the best substrate for little Testudo torts, but you have to keep it a little damp and you have to hand pack it firmly. I switch them to fine grade orchid bark once they reach about 3-4 inches. The coir will settle in after about two weeks of use if you keep packing it down.

No soil, no sand, no hay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Let's try this!
That looks pretty good. My only concern would be that it might get too hot in the Dogloo with the sun beating down on it on a hot summer day. Only your thermometer can answer that question.

My only complaint would be that is too small. GO BIG outside. I also like more plants and shady areas in an outdoor enclosure.

No harm in using a lid, but are you referring to wild animals, or your own pets when you referenced the other animals?

Why a heat lamp inside? Aren't you in FL? The benefit of an outdoor enclosure is so that the tortoises can use the sun to warm up and eliminate the need for a heat lamp.

Florida

Florida
That looks pretty good. My only concern would be that it might get too hot in the Dogloo with the sun beating down on it on a hot summer day. Only your thermometer can answer that question.

My only complaint would be that is too small. GO BIG outside. I also like more plants and shady areas in an outdoor enclosure.

No harm in using a lid, but are you referring to wild animals, or your own pets when you referenced the other animals?

Why a heat lamp inside? Aren't you in FL? The benefit of an outdoor enclosure is so that the tortoises can use the sun to warm up and eliminate the need for a heat lamp.
Thanks Tom. This is exactly the type of feedback I want. I probably won't answer half your questions/issues but trust me. If I get argumentative tell me to shut up and listen. MANY vets have used those exact words and I appreciate that . First off the picture is deceptive. The enclosure is 48"w x 72"L x 24"D. These guys are still babies. As they grow and the need exists I can provide them with a covered tunnel to a 1800 sq fenced in back yard. This is part 2 of the project. The hardware cloth lid is a must. We are a free range farm. As such, so are the predators. These guys could potentially become snack food for most anyone. The cover stays. I protect all my animals. We are a rescue/SANCTUARY! Finally, the heat lamp...It is only because this crazy Florida weather has been down in the upper 40's the last couple of nights. TMI, last night I put a hypothermic turkey chick in the igloo .....and it survived. So Far??? I haven't had to worry about overheating during the day because they simply come outside and soak or bask.

Florida

Florida
One more comment. Mine is not the normal life. This morning with the first cup of coffee in hand I went to my front porch to be met by my Guardian Ackbash Dog. Very rare for him since he doesn't usually meet up with me and the rest of the dogs till we release/feed. He was frenzied. He showed where foxes had hit the farm during the night. Injuring a Muscovy duck. But more importantly a turkey hen with 2 chicks was attacked. The hen was provided field treatment and she may survive. The other dogs located one chick, near death. In the hay field, non responsive. I brought it inside and gave it fluids and then put it under the sulcata heatlamp in the outside habitat. The other chick never made it and the hen will probably cross the bridge tonight.