Sulcata Adoption Questions....Please Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
Hi All,
My family and I have been going through the process of adopting a Sulcata from COHRS in CO. He (?) is approx ~5 yrs old, is 12 inches long and has been at the Rep place for almost 2 yrs. He has quite a bit of pyramiding which I hope will continue to smooth out over time with proper care. They finally contacted me back and have asked me the following questions.

Over the past several months I have done a lot of research to think about if one of these great torts is approp for our family. These are the answers I am prepared to give them in response.

Can anyone look them over and tell me if I am incorrect or even give me some additional information.

1. Why is unfiltered sunlight so important for turtles?
Because they need the UVB rays that help them gain calcium and other needed nutrients provided by the sun.

2. What might it mean if a turtle has a bubbling nose and what would you do?

That the tort may have a respiratory infection and is in need of medical attention from a Hep vet. (I have located one near by that specializes in torts)

3. What foods will you avoid and why?
Foods to avoid will be store bought pellet type food, iceburg lettuce, frequent fruits and proteins. Foods with proteins in them should also be avoided because their bodies can not process protein and it can cause stones. Sulcatas do better when they are allowed to graze outside. This aids their digestion and helps them process foods better. No iceburg lettuce should be given because it has little to no nutritional value to them. Store bought pellet foods are not great because it is not a natural food product and is best to avoid when possible.

4. What is the brand name and type of your UVB bulb? What is the
percentage of UVB output?
I am in the process of purchasing a Zoomed UVB bulb. (I am not sure what percent of the output should be???? Can anyone help me on this one????????? I have seen 3 different output strengths?

5. How far away from the basking area is it located?

This one I am also unsure about. He will be outside approx 9 months out of the year. We live in Western CO and have great springs, summers and falls. Once the temps start dropping at night we will bring him inside to an indoor setup we are having built. I know that the basking area needs to be approx 90 degrees???? Any other info for this question would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the advice.
Desiree

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Arizona
I will try to help, but you may want to wait for another more experienced person.
Most of your answers sound pretty good, however #1 they don't get calcium from the sun they get vitamin d to help absorb the calcium and it also improves their mood.
#2 Good Answer, it can also mean they are overheated
#3 Good answer, although many of us feed Mazuri pellets, but I am sure the rescue does not agree.
#4 UVB good ones are 100 watt MVB (mercury vapor bulb) brands are zoo med, repti glo, mega ray. Nice thing about MVB is they provie heat and UV, now I think it is supposed to be 6 inches? not positive, my guy is outside all day so no need for one
#5 I answered at the end of #4

Good luck let us know! and welcome to TFO!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Yeah, give us an update when u can. Good luck! U will be very happy with your sully, I love mine like another child! :)

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
Thanks for asking guys. I am still waiting. The process is very slow and they are very selective about who they let adopt. I sent my response back to the rep. She then wants me to send pics of the outside enclosures, which is my whole back yard as it is fenced with privacy fencing and then has cinderblocks already presunk-thanks to my old lab that loved to dig. Who knew that sinking a 1/4 acre worth of blocks for an old lab that passed away three yrs ago would come in handy again.

I am making boroughs outside today. (Any help in that area would be great!!!)

I have seen some boroughs where people take large metal trashcans, cut them down the middle length-wise and then bury it partially in the ground. I was thinking about then covering them with dirt and flagstone to make it look like a more natural hiding spot. Ideas????

I already have the water bowls and am in the process of having "his" indoor enclosure build as I am typing this. I am in hopes that they will think that our home will be a great fit for this little guy. I already love looking at the pics that they post. Trying soooo hard not to get my hopes up.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
dbeilfuss,
Sounds like your doing a ton of research first. Kudos to you.
If this doesn't work out with the rescue, hang tight. There are many sulcatas out there, that people did not do their homework first and it hasn't worked out...
Keep us posted!
Nay

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Desiree:

1. Unfiltered sunlight provides the vitamin D3 that is required to make the calcium the tortoise eats work.

2. Besides what you wrote, it also might be caused by too dry and dusty enclosure, or by an allergy to the substrate.

3. ok

4. If the tortoise is big enough to be outside, you don't need the bulb. But for indoors, the size of the bulb depends upon the size of the habitat.

5. The instructions on the box usually tell you to place it no closer than 12"

Good luck with your adoption. Please keep us informed!

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
I wanted to give you all an update. When I submitted my adoption app to CoRHS a month ago I was requesting to adopt a Sulcata that was approx 5yrs old and 12 in long.
I found out last night after submitting pics of enclosures, outside habitat and "security system" which consists of PVC fencing and sunken cinderblocks that we have been approved!!!!!!!!! WOOT WOOT!

The little guy that I wanted to adopt initially had already been placed with another family. BUT we have been approved for a 7-10 yr old Sulcata!!!! He is 22 in long and weighs approx 45 lbs!!! We were not expecting to get such a large guy this early but I am ECSTATIC!!!!! SOOOOOO EXCITED! I can hardly stand myself. I keep doing the happy dance!!!! We will do the 5.5 hour drive on the 20th to go pick him up.

After months of research and prepping it feels great to know that there is a light at the end of this tunnel!

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Cool beans! Congrats and I can't wait to see pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.