Suitable Tortoise Enclosure

maddison04

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Someone I knew was giving away a tortoise because they didn’t want it anymore so I decided to have him. He came in a vivarium tank which is small (baring in mind he’s a medium sized tortoise). I feel awful watching him in there as I know it’s not suitable and for me it’s hard to keep the temperature not too hot and not too cold. I really need help on a suitable cage for him nothing huge but something big enough. Please help as guys!

M0rdrid

Virginia
Do you know what kind of tortoise he? That would help us give you a min size and maybe some suggestions to help.

maddison04

United Kingdom
Hello, maybe this photo can help you identify which tortoise I am currently keeping. As I said I just offered to have him since she was giving him away. The photo of the cage may look big but it really isn’t and I need help to find a suitable cage as like I stated it’s hard to keep temperature just right for him.
image.jpg

maddison04

United Kingdom
This is the enclosure he’s currently living I’ve found a photo from the internet.

Attachments

• 23C26CFD-327B-4FB4-9959-EDF51EF57C42.jpeg
    23C26CFD-327B-4FB4-9959-EDF51EF57C42.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 18

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hello, maybe this photo can help you identify which tortoise I am currently keeping. As I said I just offered to have him since she was giving him away. The photo of the cage may look big but it really isn’t and I need help to find a suitable cage as like I stated it’s hard to keep temperature just right for him.
View attachment 314946
This is a Hermann’s tortoise. You’re right that the enclosure you were given isn't suitable. It is too small. Your tortoise should have an enclosure that is something around 4ft by 8ft. Most would suggest that this is the minimum size for 1 tortoise. The bigger the enclosure, the better. I’ve never seen a prefabricated enclosure that is big enough for an adult Hermann’s. This is something you’d have to build yourself or have one built for you.

ayrgrn

UK
Yeah that's a hermann's tortoise and it is quite old/big so definitely needs an 8x4 foot enclosure or bigger. Might be possible to build an inside enclosure out of plywood but your best bet is to build one outside in your back garden.