Hi, I'm looking to get a baby Hermann's tortoise in May-ish. I've compiled a list of supplies I'm getting for them in advance. If you have any suggestions please let me know so I can update my list. Thanks!
- https://kapidolofarms.com/product-category/foods-and-diet-items/ (hibiscus, echinacea, plantain, calendula, & mulberry) - ALL DRIED. I live in Tucson AZ, so fresh foraging isn't an option. Will be soaked overnight in water to rehydrate, or fed with lettuce or kale interchangeably.
- REPCAL brand herptivite & calcium powder. Sprinkled on feed 2-3x per week.
- Mazuri brand LS small tortoise pellets. Fed 2-3x per week along with rehydrated weeds/plants.
- Reptisafe for clean drinking & soaking water.
- 50% Oldcastle/Timberline topsoil mixed with 50% Eco Earth coco fiber. Misted daily with spray bottle, x depending on dryness. Distributed deeply enough so that tortoise may dig/burrow if desired.
- Will either be be a DIY using a bookshelf or possibly a deck box of proper dimensions, or a prebuilt tortie table. Enclosure will have a sleeping room with a UTH on low-medium to ensure temperature does not drop below 70 degrees at night time.
- https://www.save-on-crafts.com/products/richland-rectangle-natural-slate-coaster-11-75-x6?variant=31602028707971&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3smABhCjARIsAKtrg6JK9GQO2Y8NOt1IAwOPPzaB94m0750F2mZH-YwqjI7NmeoZUgZpJu0aAp4-EALw_wcB (Feeding slate to help trim nails & beak while eating)
- UVA & UVB bulbs for heating, basking, day/night cycle, and D3 synthesis. (Will be indoors most of the time) Lights will be placed relatively close together to ensure the enclosure has a cool side.
- Pool tarp secured around inside of enclosure, to help when changing substrate, keeping wood oils from tortoise, and preventing wood rot from prolonged moisture exposure.
- Shallow water dish large enough for the tortoise to soak in
- Cuttlebone for calcium & trimming
- Enrichment (ex. toys to roll, hides, climbing rock of a safe height)