Suggestions for making baby food for baby sulcata

shawnateerow

Location (City and/or State)
Maurice
One of my baby sulcatas has some issues..trying to help. Ive had her for about a month and today she is 36 grams. I only figured out last week that she's unable to eat..i think it is due to her jaw being misaligned :( I started feeding her low sugar jar baby food 2/3 mixed with 1/3 water through a medicine dropper. She is loving it, and seems to be the only way she can eat...anyone have any different suggestions? Something better I can buy? Or make at home? Trying to help my little girl grow!

20200922_231109.jpg20200922_231251.jpg20200922_231011.jpg20200831_191832.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need to get this baby's eyes open. To that end, buy several jars of strained carrot baby food (the strained carrots have the highest concentration of vitamin A and his eyes are closed due to vitamin A deficiency). Mix it half and half with warm water and soak him in it for at least an hour. If you faithfully do this daily, his eyes will be open by day three.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(Once he can see, he should eat on his own - chop the food small)

shawnateerow

Maurice
She has opened that bad eye before..it looked kind of like a film over it..weird. her other eye is fine. You think she's just lacking vitamin a? Also, one time that she opened it i saw the "third eye" just a bit and it looked red

shawnateerow

Maurice
Also, the fact that her jaw is crooked..hard to see in the picture..but do you think that will correct itself as she grows?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I hate to say it but to me it looks like your Tortoise is very ill from something more than just a crooked jaw.

shawnateerow

Maurice
Any ideas? I'm doing whatever I can that might help her..but I just don't know what else I could be doing. I brought her to the only vet around and she suggested carrot soak and gave her an antibiotic...

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Any ideas? I'm doing whatever I can that might help her..but I just don't know what else I could be doing. I brought her to the only vet around and she suggested carrot soak and gave her an antibiotic...
I would do the baby food soaks. Multiple times a day.

shawnateerow

Maurice
Baby girl seems to like the carrot soak?? she's eating up up!

Attachments

• 20200923_232418.jpg
    20200923_232418.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How are you housing this tortoise? Is the pic with the chicken wire where it lives?

shawnateerow

Maurice
How are you housing this tortoise? Is the pic with the chicken wire where it lives?

Yes a 3x3 ft wood table my husband made the lid is wood frame with chicken wire to keep the cats away. Substrate is coco coir and reptibark and they have a heat lamp and uvb lamp

shawnateerow

Maurice
That picture is in a large plastic tote with towels the day we have to clean out the table due to fire ants ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That picture is in a large plastic tote with towels the day we have to clean out the table due to fire ants ?
Did the fire ants get to the baby?

Open topped tables don't work for this species. You can't maintain the correct temperatures and humidity. You need a closed chamber.

Give this a read:

shawnateerow

Maurice
Would this work for 3 babies? Its 40 gallon tank

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200924-132802_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200924-132802_Facebook.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 38

shawnateerow

Maurice
You need to get this baby's eyes open. To that end, buy several jars of strained carrot baby food (the strained carrots have the highest concentration of vitamin A and his eyes are closed due to vitamin A deficiency). Mix it half and half with warm water and soak him in it for at least an hour. If you faithfully do this daily, his eyes will be open by day three.

Update! Just finished day 2 of
Where did you get him? Was it a breeder?

Underground reptiles ?