Suggestions for a substrate?

Jackdonna

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
hey guys! Need your help over here. I have 2 torts they seem to burrow in my current set up (while waiting for their new home to get done). Im using a potting soil as a substrate for now, but they always dig into it. They have a hide with some of the soil.. im currently staying here in dubai so i get to keep them in the balcony where they can get some sun.. im just worried because every morning they stay in there hiding and bury themselves into the soil which afterwards they are full with it. :( (theres a photo of them eating. And i already removed the sand in there and replaced them with potting soil) will upload some photo of their current set up.

Attachments

• F36DAF65-F8BA-4F70-B93A-BCADC2F68C8A.jpeg
    F36DAF65-F8BA-4F70-B93A-BCADC2F68C8A.jpeg
    893.6 KB · Views: 50

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello

What species are these tortoises?

Your enclosure is far too small for one tortoise, let alone two.

They are territorial, not social and don't want, need or particularly like company. One tortoise will be dominant and the other will become withdrawn and fail to thrive. They should be kept separately before one of these two becomes sick.

Please read the following, paying particular attention to humidity and enclosure size.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Jackdonna

Dubai
They are sulcatas. I got them from my wife as a present. Ill be keeping them separately once their new home is done. But Not until this weekend. :( i know its too small thats why im doing my best to keep them healthy and happy.. should i keep using the potting soil? The substrates mentioned in the previous threads are mostly not available so if in anycase, should i mix potting soil with some orchid barks? Thanks for your reply madam!

Tropics

San Diego, CA
Is that sand? Don’t use that. Any reptile or pet stores, or even garden? Use orchid bark without chemicals or fertilizer, or ground coco husk.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
They are sulcatas. I got them from my wife as a present. Ill be keeping them separately once their new home is done. But Not until this weekend. :( i know its too small thats why im doing my best to keep them healthy and happy.. should i keep using the potting soil? The substrates mentioned in the previous threads are mostly not available so if in anycase, should i mix potting soil with some orchid barks? Thanks for your reply madam!

If the picture attached to your first post is them, they're not sulcata. They look like one of the Testudo species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm sorry. Those are not sulcatas. Those are one of the Testudo tortoises. Probably graeca of one subspecies or another.

@GBtortoises
@HermanniChris

These guys are great at IDing the different subspecies.

I like to use fine grade orchid bark. It is also called fir bark in doe gardens centers. Potting soil usually contains additives that could be harmful. I wouldn't use it unless you are sure of what its made of.

Bee62

Germany
Can you use natural soil from outside ? Potting soil is not good for tortoises because it contains chemical things like @Tom already said.
And these torts are no sulcata tortoises.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Those are Greek tortoises (Testudo graeca) and judging from afar they appear to be T. graeca terrestris.

Jackdonna

Dubai
Seriously you guys are great help! I just spoke with my wife and ask her where she got them! Im debating with her that these are not what the pet store tells her, Im both pissed and relieved! There goes tip no. 1 from tom for beginners mistake! Been reading infos for the wrong species. ill keep you guys posted regarding the updates with my babies..

Jackdonna

Dubai
Those are Greek tortoises (Testudo graeca) and judging from afar they appear to be T. graeca terrestris.
Hi chris! Can you identify them for me please? Here’s the phtoto of them.. so i can run and get the right stuff for them. Though, ive been feeding them with greens mostly mustard and some grass from work (those are clean grass and no chemicals or pesticides on them, i personally spoke with the gardener) .. just need to get the right beddings for them before thay get transferred to their new place once done.

Attachments

• 9DCFF8F3-36E6-4674-A33B-F620ED28AFDD.jpeg
    9DCFF8F3-36E6-4674-A33B-F620ED28AFDD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 34184F76-92E8-40B9-B965-6E9D7322CEF4.jpeg
    34184F76-92E8-40B9-B965-6E9D7322CEF4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 62311E4D-9449-429D-A8BA-9E96B36DFC51.jpeg
    62311E4D-9449-429D-A8BA-9E96B36DFC51.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 30

Jackdonna

Dubai
I'm sorry. Those are not sulcatas. Those are one of the Testudo tortoises. Probably graeca of one subspecies or another.

@GBtortoises
@HermanniChris

These guys are great at IDing the different subspecies.

I like to use fine grade orchid bark. It is also called fir bark in doe gardens centers. Potting soil usually contains additives that could be harmful. I wouldn't use it unless you are sure of what its made of.
Thanks tom!! Need to look closely on them! Ive drain my soil with water before placing them inside their enclosure, will that help? Thanks!

Jackdonna

Dubai
Can you use natural soil from outside ? Potting soil is not good for tortoises because it contains chemical things like @Tom already said.
And these torts are no sulcata tortoises.
I’ll try and get some soil from work.. most areas here are sand, my workplace is a good source of dirt.. ive seen them grow plants and all.. just have to make sure its clean before keeping them..

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Look like Testudo graeca terrestris to me, sometimes called Golden Greeks.
But care for the greek tortoise is the same whichever subspecies you have.

Bee62

Germany
I’ll try and get some soil from work.. most areas here are sand, my workplace is a good source of dirt.. ive seen them grow plants and all.. just have to make sure its clean before keeping them..
When you can be sure that the soil is not sprayed with any chemicals it will be the best for your torts when you can get no orchid bark. Or you combine orchid bark and natural soil.

Jackdonna

Dubai
When you can be sure that the soil is not sprayed with any chemicals it will be the best for your torts when you can get no orchid bark. Or you combine orchid bark and natural soil.

Will do.. they are digging up the soil for the new landscape so im pretty sure no chemicals in there.. plus im washing my beddings first before i put them in to get rid of unwanted dirt and small rocks..