Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
CourtneyG said:
I really do not like cichlids at all.

{EMPHATICALLY POINTING FINGER} BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to excuse yourself from TFO for the rest of the day!

... how could you?

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Tom said:
CourtneyG said:

... how could you?

They are such awful fish in my opinion, and then of course everybody and their donkey has them.

AND I SHALL NOT BE EXCUSED!!!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
There are a lot if species of cichlids, that's like saying you hate dogs cuz everyone has them, but there are so many different dogs out there. Lol maybe not exactly the same but you get what I mean lol.

I have an electric blue jack Dempsey and I must admit one of my favorite fish, and I got him accidentally.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Millerlite said:
There are a lot if species of cichlids, that's like saying you hate dogs cuz everyone has them, but there are so many different dogs out there. Lol maybe not exactly the same but you get what I mean lol.

I have an electric blue jack Dempsey and I must admit one of my favorite fish, and I got him accidentally.

I more mean that they are very common, nothing exotic about them like an African Upside Down Catfish or an Oscar or Discus, you just see them everywhere. The huge thing about them I do not like is that they are aggressive fish, they normally kill other tank mates and they do mess the tank decorations up with them relocating rocks for their nest.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yeah they can be very aggressive indeed, I actually don't like cichlids to much per say even tho I have one by accident: my little jack isn't aggressive tho, and electric blue jack dempseys stay less aggressive then normals jacks. I've seen some really nice cichlids tanks tho. I'm more into the smaller shoaling species, if I had a 50 I would do a planted aquarium with a group of neon tetras or barbs, and like a shoal of Cory cats for the bottom, then maybe a pair of clown plecos or something awesome looking pleco. The zebra plecos are cool but not for 400 dollars. That's more my style of aquarium keeping. Anywho.

Len let us know when you get him, where do you even get one? They look like they get fairly big too, reminds me of this gold fish with the brains, on a huge level

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Millerlite said:
Yeah they can be very aggressive indeed, I actually don't like cichlids to much per say even tho I have one by accident: my little jack isn't aggressive tho, and electric blue jack dempseys stay less aggressive then normals jacks. I've seen some really nice cichlids tanks tho. I'm more into the smaller shoaling species, if I had a 50 I would do a planted aquarium with a group of neon tetras or barbs, and like a shoal of Cory cats for the bottom, then maybe a pair of clown plecos or something awesome looking pleco. The zebra plecos are cool but not for 400 dollars. That's more my style of aquarium keeping. Anywho.

Len let us know when you get him, where do you even get one? They look like they get fairly big too, reminds me of this gold fish with the brains, on a huge level
Here he is, I picked him up about 1 pm today, cost $10,00 from a local African Cichlid breeder that gets other items in to sell. He is a youngster but very aggressive, when I looked at them yesterday there were 2 in the tank and today there was only 1, this one killed the other one last night. Only been here a few hours and already comes to me looking for food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
CourtneyG said:
Tom said:
CourtneyG said:

... how could you?

They are such awful fish in my opinion, and then of course everybody and their donkey has them.

Oh. I see the problem. You don't even KNOW the cichlidae. Anyone who thinks my Lampropeltis cylindricus, or my Julidochromis marlieri are common, clearly does not know cichlids and should learn much more before making such hasty assertions.

(I'm kidding here, for anyone who has not caught on...)

Jd3

5 Year Member
CourtneyG said:
Millerlite said:

I more mean that they are very common, nothing exotic about them like an African Upside Down Catfish or an Oscar or Discus, you just see them everywhere. The huge thing about them I do not like is that they are aggressive fish, they normally kill other tank mates and they do mess the tank decorations up with them relocating rocks for their nest.

There are a TON of very rare and difficult cichlids. It is a huge group of fish...

I do not think this tank is big enough for a flower horn or Oscar. I've kept both and both should be in 75 minimum for a single specimen.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Tom said:
CourtneyG said:
Tom said:
CourtneyG said:

... how could you?

Oh. I see the problem. You don't even KNOW the cichlidae. Anyone who thinks my Lampropeltis cylindricus, or my Julidochromis marlieri are common, clearly does not know cichlids and should learn much more before making such hasty assertions.

(I'm kidding here, for anyone who has not caught on...)

I know there are some rare and very beautiful cichlids, but I have never cared for them. Don't worry you are not the only one who has given me the same response you have. I know a lot on cichlids, I am African(birth knowledge Yeah!!) but have also taken Marianne biology classes and Marianne research trips. We also had tanks of them in our classrooms and labs and have experimented on them.

Jd3

5 Year Member
So many gorgeous fish though. From shell dwellers to dwarf South Americans.

Flower horns can be very cool, but the 10 dollar pet store variety is likely to be pretty bland with a minimal hump.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Jd3 said:

Flower horns can be very cool, but the 10 dollar pet store variety is likely to be pretty bland with a minimal hump.

WOW, Aren't you the optimist, I'll go back and give them more money so my fish will be pretty and have a big hump, and if it outgrows the 50 and is bland with a minimal hump, I know I have something here that will eat it so as not to waste my time and money raising an overgrown ugly fish.

Jd3

5 Year Member
Len said:
Jd3 said:

WOW, Aren't you the optimist, I'll go back and give them more money so my fish will be pretty and have a big hump, and if it outgrows the 50 and is bland with a minimal hump, I know I have something here that will eat it so as not to waste my time and money raising an overgrown ugly fish.

What I am saying is that the pictures of amazing flower horns you find are not of pet store fish. They are from people who breed them very selectively. They don't end up in circulation for cheap.

It WILL outgrow the 50. I'd highly recommend 50% weekly water changes and lots of filter turnover. 10x gph, or 500 gph for this particular tank.

My point about the price is emphasized by these:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwflowerhorn

http://www.rfitropicalfish.com/flower_horn_cichlids

It doesn't mean it won't be a fun fish to have. Just don't expect to have secretly got the fish at the top f the google images search for flowerhorn.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Jd3 said:
Len said:
Jd3 said:

What I am saying is that the pictures of amazing flower horns you find are not of pet store fish. They are from people who breed them very selectively. They don't end up in circulation for cheap.

It WILL outgrow the 50. I'd highly recommend 50% weekly water changes and lots of filter turnover. 10x gph, or 500 gph for this particular tank.

My point about the price is emphasized by these:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwflowerhorn

http://www.rfitropicalfish.com/flower_horn_cichlids

It doesn't mean it won't be a fun fish to have. Just don't expect to have secretly got the fish at the top f the google images search for flowerhorn.
I know what to expect, The Red Dragon is one of the first hybrids so I am not expecting any thing other than that, I don't expect to raise a monster 16 inch fish that would win first place in a beauty contest. I do have some experience with fish and I feel that your water recommendations would be nice but are a little over kill and not necessary under most conditions. Thanks for your concerns though.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Len just make sure you post pictures of your ugly fish when you get it ;) joking and sarcastic. Keep us updated on when you get it. Cichlids are fun smart fish to keep

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Get some south american cichlids, I have green severums and they are gentle giants. Also anglefish are cichlids, get a group of koi angels.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
You can actually get a discus and other colorful fish to keep in the tank. Will you plant the tank?

Jd3

5 Year Member
I would not put any fish in a tank with a flowerhorn. Nor would I plant it.

Len B

10 Year Member!
This is what I have come up with for interior decorations so far, I rewired one of the hoods, the other just needed a good cleaning. Everything is concrete so when he gets big hopefully they stay in place. Haven't decided on using a substrate or not, leaning towards not. What do you think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.