Suggestions for a 50 galllon single fish occupant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
My only concern would be the concrete not being sealed and leaching into the water. Isn't lye one of those things is concrete?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Cowboy_Ken said:
My only concern would be the concrete not being sealed and leaching into the water. Isn't lye one of those things is concrete?
I didn't even think about the concrete because they are all older items that have been weathered outside at least 8 years, The frog is much older and was painted (not much paint left) at one time, I figure it was lead paint but so little still on it, hopefully it wont be a problem.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think he has great color already. I also vote for substrate. My preference, but I hate tanks without it, so unnatural. Good luck and enjoy.

Jd3

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:

Concrete is often used in 3d backgrounds. It needs to be cured and I'd soak it for a few days with water changes to be safe. Checking the ph. Concrete will make it swing wildly till it is cured.

It shouldn't be an issue since it is old enough. Unless the painted frog is 40 years old if shouldn't have lead. If it has lead paint it won't matter much. People use lead plant weights all the time. It forms an oxidized layer and won't leach much as long as you don't have a very low ph and do regular water changes

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Use spray foam and paint it then go over it with a clear acrylic or epoxy. Dont mess with concrete, to much to mess with.

Jd3

5 Year Member
AustinASU said:
Use spray foam and paint it then go over it with a clear acrylic or epoxy. Dont mess with concrete, to much to mess with.

I don't think he's talking about making a background.... We're talking about the concrete decorations in the picture....

I just mentioned it is used to show it can be used in tanks if cured.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
My still nameless fish is in the 50. I need to get an external background to finish it off, I am also trying to locate some large older vintage filters. right now I have 2 rf600 and two 30 gal rated hang on filters. Here it is.

Jd3

5 Year Member
What kind of vintage filter?

If I ever had to recommend a filter(new) it would be the fx5. Worth every penny. Way less overall cost than any hob will offer. And so much less work to maintain.

A spray bar would help diffuse and it would upgrade with any tank.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Fx5 a canister filter? I personally like canisters over hobs, Idk about any vintage.... I've built most of my filters and they work great.. Maybe a DIY filter can work

Jd3

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
Fx5 a canister filter? I personally like canisters over hobs, Idk about any vintage.... I've built most of my filters and they work great.. Maybe a DIY filter can work

Yes. Fluval fx5. Big boy.

I've made many sumps and really prefer them. The learning curve isn't as bad as it seems. Can be done very cheaply. Adds water volume so more stable.

I used a single fx5 on 75g set ups. Can go months without maintenance

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Think I was looking into that one the fx5 does it have baskets? I was looking at one with 5 baskets "5 stages"

Jd3

5 Year Member
It has three baskets I believe. Plus pre filter

It is huge. 5 gallon bucket sized.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Len, I kept my first box turtle when I was 7 years old in a tank just like that one. All he had was a hot rock that would literally burn up and smolder every year or so, and need to be replaced. Out vet told us to feed him "Mighty Dog", lettuce and tomatoes, and to keep him on kitty litter.

Don't want to change the subject, but your pics brought back some memories.

And I like your fish even though its a... (gasp...) hybrid. :p

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Len said:
Jd3 said:

I researched it and the size amazed me, any idea how quiet it is ?

Ive heard it's pretty quiet, I didn't realize how big it was, it sure looks to keep everything crystal clear

Jd3

5 Year Member
AustinASU said:
I can see an fx5 on a 75...but on a 50.....thats so overkill!!

Well we're putting a fish that belongs in a 125 in a 50 so it won't hurt.

Len said:
Jd3 said:

I researched it and the size amazed me, any idea how quiet it is ?

Dead silent. I had one in my living room for 2 years and never heard I but for once a day. They cycle off to allow any trapped air to escape and that was all I heard.

Quieter than any eheim I ever owned. Less work and when they do require cleaning they are designed perfectly. Much much better than the old eheim classics and such.

Built like a tank.

You'll never see a cichlids complaining about too much filtration. Position the flow right and it just helps keep the tank clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.