Suggestions for a 50 galllon single fish occupant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I am getting a old Metaframe aquarium ready to put a single fish in, I am leaning towards an electric catfish but was wondering if anyone might have other suggestions for easy feeding and pretty much low maintinace species. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
An Oscar. They are so people friendly. Will eat right out of your hand. Only problem is they are sort of like the sulcata of the fish world. They get big.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Electric cats are one of my favorites. Like little living sausages. But it will outgrow that 50 PDQ. And then, how are you going to get it out of there? :p

I have a big 135 that I was going to take down, but my wife wanted it left up, so we threw some shubunkin in there. Pretty happy fishes now. :)

How about a smaller species of cichlid? A single Jack, or green terror, would make an awesome pet. Convict? Angelfish?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Oscars are neat, Never kept one long enough to reach it's full size, My last experience with them was years ago when my kids were in jr high school the bottom cracked in a 30 gallon 6 sided tank when the house was empty, the kids got home first and started cleaning the water up off the the newly installed hardwood oak flooring, the fish were dead but the floor survived. From what I am finding during searches about the catfish are that some don't get real big, hard to pinpoint exactly which ones they are, we had one years ago that grew to about 10 inches and then had something going on with the bladder which killed it, it may have been of the monster ones, but not sure. Had a red belly piranha that lived 17 years, he had to be the wimpiest piranha ever. Never heard of the green terror before. After I posted I looked out the front door saw the river and (oyster) toad fish came to mind, I may have to go fishing ,and get my water from the river. Decisions,Decisions. I also thought about an albino walking catfish and other types of piranha, but not sure what is legal or available.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
How about an African Upside Down Catfish, I have one and he has the most amazing personality in the world. Unfortunately he is going blind in his old age and I imagine I will be selling my set up real soon, plants and all.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
How about a fresh water puffer? They're yellow with black spots and have great personalities. They're like puppies and best alone.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Cowboy_Ken said:
How about a fresh water puffer? They're yellow with black spots and have great personalities. They're like puppies and best alone.

I loved my puffer, we had to put him down recently. They really are awesome fish to have in a tank.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I thought about the puffers but not sure about how to keep the beak trim and in shape. I spend enough time trying to keep the tortoises beaks in shape.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Len said:
I thought about the puffers but not sure about how to keep the beak trim and in shape. I spend enough time trying to keep the tortoises beaks in shape.

Freeze dried krill or shrimp, and the frozen cubes of fish food that can be bought and live hard crustacean critters all do the job.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I vote puffer too. Although my favorite fish was my salt water puffer, the fresh water I had was very similar. I could pet my puffer and was always excited to see me.(okay, I know he thought I had food, just let me have my moment:D)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hope you put up a picture when you've got it all set up and inhabited.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Blechhh. I hate hybrids! Why don't you throw one of those blood parrots in with him while you are at it?

You could get a gorgeous Jack Dempsy, Texas cichlid or Managuense. What about a green terror, red devil, or pike cichlid?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
Blechhh. I hate hybrids! Why don't you throw one of those blood parrots in with him while you are at it?

You could get a gorgeous Jack Dempsy, Texas cichlid or Managuense. What about a green terror, red devil, or pike cichlid?

Tom, I'm in shock,You don't like hybrids?:D I saw an adult today for the first time, and the size was perfect for my 50. I was looking for something different and these are different, real different to me since I had never heard of them before.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will reluctantly admit that they ARE attractive. :)

But not more attractive than any of the ones I already mentioned!!! :p

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Before you do anything check your state laws, electric cats are illegal in several states. I'd hate for you to get in trouble for not knowing the state laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.