Suggestion to Spray Romaine with Reptivite solution

chin_lee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WA state Pacific Northwest
The grocery stores in my area doesn't sell dandelions and endives are terribly expensive. Over the winter and into the spring, I'm finding myself resorting to Costco size bags of romaine for my torts. Yes I am aware they are not as nutritious as many other wild greens I can find in the summer but nevertheless at least they are eating something and to be frank..... THEY ALL LOVE ROMAINE LETTUCE. The only other green they prefer over romaine seems to be dandelions and grape leaves. But alas I have easy access to Costco which means for $5 I have access to 6 romaine hearts. To increase the mineral content of the romaine leaves, I have mixed the powered Reptivite with water into a spray bottle. I cut the romaine lengthwise and I spray the inside leaves liberally with the Reptivite solution. It has been working well for me and it keeps the romaine leaves hydrated a little longer by a few hours. Once the liquid evaporates, its leaves a very light layer of the powder on the leaves.
This seems to have worked very well for me this past season as I go through a couple of costco bags of romaine weekly. I spray the leaves every 2-3 days of feeding. The fiber content may not be as high as I would like it to be but my torts have not had any problems passing the romaine leaves. I do buy kale for them weekly as well to help with the fiber intake and I also do give them mazuri with zoomeds grassland. But I thought this might be useful for people who are looking to make their romaine lettuce a little more nutritious than just plain romaine.
Any thoughts on this method from more experienced keepers?