Suggested Reading for Russians Breeding

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Hello TFO,

I was 10 weeks into the quarantine for my new Russian Tortoise, Persephone, but when I went out to check on them in their separate enclosures yesterday, this is what I found:

chilipersephone.jpg

There was no sign of digging, so I assume that Chili went over the board that separates the two of them (or made clever use of the corner somehow).

lifeuhfindsaway.png

Anyway... I feel as though quarantine is now a thing of the past with these two, so I wanted to do some reading up on reproduction between Russian Tortoises.

I've found a few useful threads, but I thought I would ask...

What threads, websites, articles, and books do you feel are most informative and accurate when it comes to educating myself about Russian Tortoises:
  • breeding
  • egg-laying
  • incubating
  • neo-natal husbandry
  • hatchling care through the first six months
Thanks,

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is my contribution:

The best resource for something like this would be to find a breeder that has had years of success. If they are in a climate similar to yours, all the better.

• Don't use perlite as an incubation media.
  • Do use a brooder box for 7-10 days after hatching to allow the umbilical scar to close up properly, and also to introduce all the different foods.
  • Do soak daily.
  • Humidity doesn't need to be monsoon season high, but moderate humidity with damp substrate to dig in to, as well as a humid hide box, are all a necessity once they move into their first enclosure.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Oops! True love (for the moment) I can't wait to see the babies

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Here is my contribution:

The best resource for something like this would be to find a breeder that has had years of success. If they are in a climate similar to yours, all the better.

• Don't use perlite as an incubation media.
  • Do use a brooder box for 7-10 days after hatching to allow the umbilical scar to close up properly, and also to introduce all the different foods.
  • Do soak daily.
  • Humidity doesn't need to be monsoon season high, but moderate humidity with damp substrate to dig in to, as well as a humid hide box, are all a necessity once they move into their first enclosure.

Thanks Tom,

Yours was one of the three threads I already grabbed for a folder of reading and reference... thanks for the tips!

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Oops! True love (for the moment) I can't wait to see the babies

We'll see if anything results from their union(s)... Chili lived a pretty crappy life for a long time before he came to live with me, so I don't know what his fathering capabilities are like.

Fingers crossed.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry for the kludgy video upload... I struggle.

I find Chili's squeaky-toy noise ridiculous, and Persephone's grudging tolerance awesome.

Jamie

Reactions: Ink

ZenHerper

New Jersey
She's having quite the adventure this year...

That swipe right thing really worked out.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I can't stop laughing..Chilli is trying so hard and the noises. Persephone...."are you done yet, I see some food over there. " I hope it all works out well with babies. Thanks for sharing

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I can't stop laughing..Chilli is trying so hard and the noises. Persephone...."are you done yet, I see some food over there. " I hope it all works out well with babies. Thanks for sharing
I know... those noises kill me... that and how much smaller he is than her... #AbeVigodaTortRomancingtheTank

Jamie

Reactions: Ink

qiangzhu

Washington
Hello TFO,

I was 10 weeks into the quarantine for my new Russian Tortoise, Persephone, but when I went out to check on them in their separate enclosures yesterday, this is what I found:

View attachment 297657

There was no sign of digging, so I assume that Chili went over the board that separates the two of them (or made clever use of the corner somehow).

Anyway... I feel as though quarantine is now a thing of the past with these two, so I wanted to do some reading up on reproduction between Russian Tortoises.

I've found a few useful threads, but I thought I would ask...

What threads, websites, articles, and books do you feel are most informative and accurate when it comes to educating myself about Russian Tortoises:
  • breeding
  • egg-laying
  • incubating
  • neo-natal husbandry
  • hatchling care through the first six months
Thanks,

Jamie
It looks great! How large is your male and female now? Do they need hibernate before mating?