Sufficient light for a Red Foot?

seadogrun

Location (City and/or State)
Pompano Beach, FL
One bulb is Exo Terra Reptile UVB 100, the other is Exo Terra 100W Daylight basking spot. The lights are about 15 inches over the substrate. The thermometer in the back is showing 90 deg, but not in the direct light. I'm planning on a 10 hour timer for both. I was wondering if hanging the lights in the enclosure would be better or that would be too close to the substrate? Located in S. Florida if that makes a difference.

Thanks everyone!

70_B74237-5834-4421-99_B4-3_E3_A5_B1_BDCCF.jpg

Last edited:

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
1. Stop using the Exo Terra Reptile UVB 100 bulb. Those bulbs are known to cause severe eye problems in tortoises.

Use linear florescent bulbs instead such as the T5 arcadia 12.0. Example included below:
http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/arcadia-d3-12-uvb-t5-bulb-22/

2. 15 inches would require higher wattage setups. The good thing is that you only need a basking spot temp of 90-95F if you choose to keep using one. Read what I wrote on the other thread.

3. You need a ceramic heat emitter or reptile heating panel for night time heating. I've already address this issue in your other thread. Read it there.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That open cage wont work for your Redfoot because of the fact you need to keep humidity in.
You not only need a strip florescent lamp, as already pointed out...You also need a "closed chamber" enclosure.
Where in South Florida are you?
Is an outdoors enclose a possibility?

seadogrun

Pompano Beach, FL
That open cage wont work for your Redfoot because of the fact you need to keep humidity in.
You not only need a strip florescent lamp, as already pointed out...You also need a "closed chamber" enclosure.
Where in South Florida are you?
Is an outdoors enclose a possibility?
I'm in Pompano Beach. An outdoor enclosure is in the plans, but we were thinking about after Reef the red foot grew a bit.

Yes but the selection is very limited and often overpriced and of poor quality. Amazon, home depot, and other online tortoise retailing sites will get you more bang for your buck. Generic pet-branded equipment will not last. Grow lights and work light type equipment will be a much better choice.

Thank you.

1. Stop using the Exo Terra Reptile UVB 100 bulb. Those bulbs are known to cause severe eye problems in tortoises.

Use linear florescent bulbs instead such as the T5 arcadia 12.0. Example included below:
http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/arcadia-d3-12-uvb-t5-bulb-22/

2. 15 inches would require higher wattage setups. The good thing is that you only need a basking spot temp of 90-95F if you choose to keep using one. Read what I wrote on the other thread.

3. You need a ceramic heat emitter or reptile heating panel for night time heating. I've already address this issue in your other thread. Read it there.

I have taken the UVB out, I replaced it with a 65W Ceramic for night heat.

I can hang the light under the frame. This would put the bottom of the light housing 8" above the substrate. Is that too close for the 100W dalylight and the 65W Ceramic?

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate the help. I thought I was on the right track, but was not obviously.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I'm in Pompano Beach. An outdoor enclosure is in the plans, but we were thinking about after Reef the red foot grew a bit.

Thank you.

I can hang the light under the frame. This would put the bottom of the light housing 8" above the substrate. Is that too close for the 100W dalylight and the 65W Ceramic?

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate the help. I thought I was on the right track, but was not obviously.

You'll have to measure the basking spot directly under the lamp fixture to know this. In my experience, a closed chamber style enclosure and a distance of 8 inches would be too close for a 100 watt light bulb. I believe a 30 watt or lower may achieve 90-95F at that distance.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Fellow Floridian here from Margate. Welcome!

Thank you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Make sure your overall temperature doesnt exceed 89.
It's easy to overheat a RF.
Here also in Broward county. I find it unnecessary to use additional heat with a closed chamber that has a strip florescent uvb light. Even with my A/C turned on at 73 degrees. It keeps a steady 82 degrees inside with humidity of up over 75%.
For a Redfoot, humidity is just as important as warmth.
You want warmth. Not high heat. And as little bright lighting as is necessary.
Just the transformer in my simple UVB light provides enough heat and supplies both heat and UVB.
It works out great.
Again. That wire cage will make what you need to do nearly impossible

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Any of the "store" brands that say 5.0.
My extra unit has an Exo Terra 5.0 18" tube
But there are several on the market

Attachments

• 20181011_101057.jpg
    20181011_101057.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 8

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
....And you can have the one in that photo for free.
Pompano beach is a 15 minute drive.
Suspend it on zip ties to drop it down to about 9 inches while you work on replacing that hamster cage;)

seadogrun

Pompano Beach, FL
Thank you very much. I'll be back in town on the 17th I'll send you a text around then. I'd love to see your enclosure also if you have the time for that too.

In the mean time, my daughter will be taking Reef(the red foot) out for some sun every day.

This forum rocks, by the way. Tortoise people helping tortoise people!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you very much. I'll be back in town on the 17th I'll send you a text around then. I'd love to see your enclosure also if you have the time for that too.

In the mean time, my daughter will be taking Reef(the red foot) out for some sun every day.

This forum rocks, by the way. Tortoise people helping tortoise people!
Great.
I can also get you started with ideas and items for an outdoor tortoise "garden"/pen. Something interactive.
I have quite a bit of supplies that I no longer use.