Sudden Death in Aldabra

Sesel

Location (City and/or State)
Seychelles
@Sesel how long to death from when they stop eating?

Depending on age/size it can take a few days/weeks (less than a year old) to a few months (~3 year old). That's what i remember. I cannot say that is what is happening in this case. Just sharing our experiences and throwing ideas around.

Annalise

Seychelles
Thank you. Very informative. I’ll have a read of the list. Maybe we’ll stop the mange tout as well. What else do you feed yours?

Please see this website for a rough guide on what is safe or not: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk
We've also lost young ones before. We think it was because of improper diet (cabbage, broccoli etc.). These can damage the liver and kidneys, although you won't see the symptoms/signs until a few months later. They are usually still active and eat well, until one day when they suddenly stop eating, but by then it is already too late.

Usually it's the weakest ones which go first. Hopefully it is not too late for your remaining one.

Luckily, i don't think the snakes & scorpions we have over here are poisonous :D

I recently heard from someone that 'mange tout' is not good for them, though we also feed it to ours. I have no idea why, maybe someone else will know. I think it is a version of Asystasia gangetica, might be the micrantha subspecies.

I don't think the rain and slight drop in temperature had an adverse effect on them.

We've also experienced these.
ha k you

bob arnz

Im my opinion let an experienced vet do an autopsy to be really sure... that is the only way to find out what happend.
Everything else is telling fortunes - sorry to say!

Annalise

Seychelles
Im my opinion let an experienced vet do an autopsy to be really sure... that is the only way to find out what happend.
Sadly we do not have such services available here otherwise I would have.

TortyDxb

uae

I kind of felt that this (an autopsy being the best route and only way to know for certain) was a given... It's still worth encouraging investigation, she has more torts in the same environment. I just didn't think it needed to be said.

There are loads of areas where a decent vet will not be available. Stupid to shut this down.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
One thing I did not see mentioned is the possibly of sand impaction in the gut somewhere? Make sure food is fed where there is no sand.

Annalise

Seychelles
That is something I hadn’t thought of. Their food is served on a plate to them, but they do end up dragging it through the sand and they like to bury themselves in the sand as well.

Nolasco

Las CrucesG
This was sent to me in a pm.
Sudden Death in Aldabra Tortoises

Annalise
New Member, Female, from Seychelles

1. New
    Hi Everyone

I am new to the Tortoise Forum. I have no idea how to make this a general conversation for everyone to see if you would assist me, Josh??

In November 2016 i was given 2 baby Aldabra Tortoises which were about 1 month old at the time and we also adopted a mis-treated 4 year old tortoise.

The older tortoise was very nervous around people and would go days without eating but the babies always ate well.

All the tortoises live outside in their enclosure. Note: we live in the Seychelles which is the origin of these tortoises, so they are living in their natural climate.

Last September we found the big tortoise dead in his cave one morning (so he would have been 5 years old). His neck was extended, almost like he had choked on food. We were devastated but had no way of understanding what had happened to him. The babies (now 1 year old) were fine and healthy and actually flourished a little more than before.

A few days ago we noticed the smaller of the two babies (Hammy) went off her food. We kept an eye on her and did some research and noted that its not unusual for a tortoise to not eat for a few days. We have had a lot of rain in the last weeks, but temperature still warm and their pen does not hold water and drains well. Yesterday, we checked on the tortoises in the morning and noticed Hammy was very weak and not moving much - she was clearly not well at all. We rushed to take her to the vet but on route she started gasping for air and appeared to pass away (went limp). I had read that tortoises can appear dead but be in some comatose state so carried on to the vet. The vet confirmed that there was some signs of life and gave her a steroid injection and said to monitor her. She never recovered and this morning we made the call that she was indeed gone. We have no idea what has happened?? We are so devastated and worry that it is something we have done/not done. We are not tortoise experts but do take very good care of them, making sure they are washed and have a varied diet.

I am just wondering if people have any ideas of what could be happening?? i am so scared the last one will die now.
    Annalise, Today

Nolasco

Las CrucesG
I am so so sorry about losing your dear friend. It is my worst nightmare. Don't give up. I wish you the best with your baby.

treefrog010

5 Year Member
culpeper va
Sorry about your losses. My first thought is that the older one you got may have been kept with other species of tortoises and contracted any # of bacterial or viral diseases. Then transferred it through feces contamination to others. 3rd still not showing symptoms as of yet. Necropsy and pathological work ups should be performed.!!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sorry about your losses. My first thought is that the older one you got may have been kept with other species of tortoises and contracted any # of bacterial or viral diseases. Then transferred it through feces contamination to others. 3rd still not showing symptoms as of yet. Necropsy and pathological work ups should be performed.!!
All this business took place a year and nine months ago. I would love to know if the last little one survived, and if it was ever found out what caused the deaths.