Sudan Sulcatas (This never gets old...)

Mimzy2225

Location (City and/or State)
Taylors SC
I changed all my stuff up to just like your care sheet says “Tom” and my baby is running around the tank now and has her open again and looks great, I’m just concerned because she never eats more then a teaspoon a day and I’m soaking her 30 minutes everyday too.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
That’s so cool!!! Extra weapons...I bet they develop...
I saw that little guy and asked my husband if I could get 4 from Tom instead of 3 ?? he said no and I need to stop talking to or following posts from @Tom because “he’s a bad influence” ????? I’m already going to get 2 more leopards and 3 of Toms sullies but I pushed my luck.. lol... Awe well can’t win them all, I guess I’ll have to settle for 5 new tortoises...

maybe I do have a problem ?

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I saw that little guy and asked my husband if I could get 4 from Tom instead of 3 ?? he said no and I need to stop talking to or following posts from @Tom because “he’s a bad influence” ????? I’m already going to get 2 more leopards and 3 of Toms sullies but I pushed my luck.. lol... Awe well can’t win them all, I guess I’ll have to settle for 5 new tortoises...

maybe I do have a problem ?

Yes, you most certainly do. But, I’m also in line for some of Tom’s leopard hatchlings, so you’re in good company here...

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Yes, you most certainly do. But, I’m also in line for some of Tom’s leopard hatchlings, so you’re in good company here...
I’m actually not getting the leopards from Tom but another wonderful member here on the forum @Gijoux .. still I only found her through Tom’s recommendation. I want the smaller leopards so that’s one of the reasons I’m not buying his and of course we are lucky to have some really wonderful breeders in this community. But I am ecstatic that I’m going to be getting some of these beautiful Sudan hatchlings. They are monsters but absolutely adorable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is what my daily soaking routine looks like. I set the babies up in their soaking water, put the lids on and then prepare the new clean tubs for them to move into after soaking. In each new tub is some radish top, a hollyhock flower, some broadleaf plantain, and the yellow is petals from a cactus flower. I give them something different every day for the first couple of weeks at least.
IMG_1100.jpg

Here is what it looks like with the lids up for a picture:
IMG_1102.jpg

And here are the DAY 8 plastron pics:
IMG_1105.jpgIMG_1106.jpgIMG_1107.jpgIMG_1108.jpgIMG_1109.jpg

I also got my first poops today. I didn't think to take a pic, but I'll try to remember tomorrow. The first poops are loose, dark, and have flecks of vermiculite in them. This is why I argue with people who say they don't eat while they still have a yolk sac, or in their first couple weeks. This is also why I tell people to NEVER incubate on perlite. Some of the incubation media WILL be ingested. It better be something inert that can't hurt them.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Really interesting to see the journey. Have they put in weight?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Really interesting to see the journey. Have they put in weight?
They aren't really eating much yet, so I doubt it. I haven't weighed them since hatching. Now I'm curious so I'll have to check.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Here is what my daily soaking routine looks like. I set the babies up in their soaking water, put the lids on and then prepare the new clean tubs for them to move into after soaking. In each new tub is some radish top, a hollyhock flower, some broadleaf plantain, and the yellow is petals from a cactus flower. I give them something different every day for the first couple of weeks at least.
View attachment 303037

View attachment 303038

And here are the DAY 8 plastron pics:
View attachment 303039View attachment 303040View attachment 303041View attachment 303042View attachment 303043

I also got my first poops today. I didn't think to take a pic, but I'll try to remember tomorrow. The first poops are loose, dark, and have flecks of vermiculite in them. This is why I argue with people who say they don't eat while they still have a yolk sac, or in their first couple weeks. This is also why I tell people to NEVER incubate on perlite. Some of the incubation media WILL be ingested. It better be something inert that can't hurt them.
Don't deprive us of ? pics!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
View attachment 303037

View attachment 303038
Just out of curiosity, why are the lids closed on the soaking boxes? Do the babies ever have an issue sharing a box?

Those leaves and flowers look like tortoise heaven!! ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just out of curiosity, why are the lids closed on the soaking boxes? Do the babies ever have an issue sharing a box?

Those leaves and flowers look like tortoise heaven!! ?
Closing the lids keeps it more humid and also keeps the water warmer longer.

Never an issue with baby sharing a box.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DAY 8:
IMG_1111.jpgIMG_1112.jpgIMG_1113.jpgIMG_1114.jpgIMG_1115.jpg

I could probably put these guys in an enclosure now, but the extra time in the boxes will allow me more time to introduce new and novel foods to them, while allowing those umbilical scars to close up and heal even more.

Ranger406

Orange County, California
They are so cute! I can’t wait to get one of these in a couple of weeks. Counting down the days! Thank you for being so thorough with your posts and keeping us all updated. We are all grateful for you care and expertise, @Tom ! ?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Amazing transformation and great to see healthy growth. They will start to keep you very busy when they get attitude and exploring energy.