Such thing as too deep for hatchlings?

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
I've read that hatchlings of certain species like mud/musk and several others shouldn't have more than a couple inches of water, but the real acrobats like sliders and painted turtles can always have as much depth as is available. Anyone raised hatchlings of sliders/painteds with an opinion on this?

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
With southern paints and red ears, I always start them off in ten or twenty gallon aquaria. Though it is true that water depth isn't really an issue, I feel that with the greater the depth, the greater the volume of water must be, and great water volume necessitates powerful filtration. Powerful filters produce powerful suction and powerful currents, all of which can drown a small hatchling. If you've ever seen sliders or paints in the wild, the hatchlings tend to hide out in the heavily planted shallows, basking on small branches and vegetation. If they venture into the deeper waters, they become lunch for the large fish, turtles and crocodilians that occupy these places. However, once they pass that two or three inch mark, they can be kept in adult sized quarters, with adult sized depth.

T.G.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
With southern paints and red ears, I always start them off in ten or twenty gallon aquaria. Though it is true that water depth isn't really an issue, I feel that with the greater the depth, the greater the volume of water must be, and great water volume necessitates powerful filtration. Powerful filters produce powerful suction and powerful currents, all of which can drown a small hatchling. If you've ever seen sliders or paints in the wild, the hatchlings tend to hide out in the heavily planted shallows, basking on small branches and vegetation. If they venture into the deeper waters, they become lunch for the large fish, turtles and crocodilians that occupy these places. However, once they pass that two or three inch mark, they can be kept in adult sized quarters, with adult sized depth.

T.G.
Bingo! Great response..

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Thanks Anthony. By the way, your youtube videos on The Turtle Room are absolutely fantastic.

T.G.