Succulents

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have three Sulcatas. Anybody have a recommmendation on what Succulents are best for them to eat. (Which Succulents do 9 out of the 10 Sulcatas interviewed prefer?) I have room in my yard to plant some and want to have some that grow, and can be cut. I have kids too, so need something that is not sharp and can be handled by kids.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
You can't go wrong with Ice plants :D Though they won't last long.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most any succulent is edible, but stay away from the Euphorbia family of succulents. They have a milky white sap that causes skin and eye irritation in varying degrees depending upon which specie of plant. (in mammals, of course. I've found that my tortoises will eat anything...even stuff on the most toxic lists)

Yvonne

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
spineless prickly pear perhaps?

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Red Apple Ice Plant ok? I know it is a no no with Calif. Desert Torts.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I've never heard of Ice Plants, what are they?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I picked up 3 large succulents this weekend at Walmart for $5 each and 3 small ones for $0.75 each. They should be about ready for the torts to feed on by late Spring when I can put them and the torts outside. :) Im also doing a few nice glass desert type terrariums with succulents in them for myself. Oh I also forgot I picked up a really nice, big Burros Tail Sedum hanging plant from my local garden center last week. I loooooove that one.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/37520/

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I was at Walmart last night and got 3 Hybiscus plants they were only $3.95 each & they are in a gal. containers.
Not a succulant but hey, Hybiscus. Oh and I also got a Grape for the same price.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Crazy1 said:
I was at Walmart last night and got 3 Hybiscus plants they were only $3.95 each & they are in a gal. containers.
Not a succulant but hey, Hybiscus. Oh and I also got a Grape for the same price.

Oh I will definitely have to go look for some Hibiscus there, it may be a bit too early for them just yet here in WI but I will be keeping my eye out for them here. :)

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:

I really want to get Hibiscus. When you buy them like that, you can't feed them to the torts right away, right? Do you only feed the flowers or leaves too?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Coldliz said:
Crazy1 said:

I really want to get Hibiscus. When you buy them like that, you can't feed them to the torts right away, right? Do you only feed the flowers or leaves too?

I think average time your supposed to wait is 6 months? I think that is what Ive heard, what does everyone else do? Ive got two types of Hibiscus seeds here that Im going to start this week.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I think 6 month quarentine on nursery plants is a very good idea. Also, I was in Lowes this weekend and they have concord grape plants (I know not a succulent) out and for sale.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have been concerned about buying Sod at the Nursery. Never know what they spray on it. Anyone ever have trouble with St. Augustine Sod?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hybiscus, I feed flowers and leaves My torts love them.

Anja How long does it take for a hybiscus that you start from seed to reach a 1 gal. size plant?

Yes, I have heard and do 3 to 6 months depending on where I buy from and what has been used on them. Even if I buy from a "Organic" grower I wait 3 months. I repot mine-Most of my plants are in Pots not the ground. I wash the roots and then plant them in organic soils. I keep them watered well to help flush out systemic chemicals, but I do wait (kind of like a quarenteen time for our new torts). Also here in CA Walmart has had berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries) and grapes (Red and Thompson seedless) on sale. I have not been happy with the plants I have gotten in the past at our local Lowes or Home Depot. Most times they are not what they have them marked as (black grapes will really be blueberries, red tomatoes will be yellow etc.). Or they don't do well after I have bought them. Seems that Walmart plants have resently worked better for me. But that's just me and my local stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.