succulent groundcover? (6 pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

moswen2

5 Year Member
hey everyone! it's me, beka, i'm still in tula's home land but i can't remember my password!! so, with the three try attempt then wait 15 minutes, i have been forced to create a new account lol!

anyways, i have some pictures here of a ground cover that appears to be some sort of succulent, or it just has really thick leaves? i think it's a ground cover because you'll see in the last picture, it covers the ground! i have seen the flower in this yellow color and another bright pink color. it seems to grow best on these rocky slopes in mykonos, greece, so, rocky/loamy soil i'm guessing. it also seems to spread by pollonation, if you can't see the pollon in the pictures, i have seen bees in them, so i'm sure it's a pollonating plant. the "leaves" are really thick, they look like thick slices of potato wedges. the plant itself seems to grow no more than 5-8 inches off the ground. i can't think of any more information to give you, but i love this plant! and i'd love to use it as ground cover for my torties if it's not poisonus, so i was thinking of trying to secure some before i left here. if anyone can id it i'd appreciate it!!!

GreeceRome125.jpg

GreeceRome126.jpg

GreeceRome127.jpg

GreeceRome128.jpg

GreeceRome129.jpg

GreeceRome130.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ice plant. Is it edible? I've never fed it, but I'd like to. Are all succulents edible?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, but most are. Ice plant is native to Africa and is a staple for African tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Yvonne and Katie. I'll just add that to the list of fantastic things I've learned here on the TFO.

On a related note. My tortoises have been eating red apple (the succulent ground cover) for years and from everything I can tell, its fine too.

turtlemom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Berthoud, Colorado
We just got back from a trip to San Jose, CA, (daughter won first place in a scholarship competition at the culinary institute! Yeah!) and when we drove down to Santa Cruz, the beach cliffs and beach areas were covered with these plants! Just beautiful! Anyone know if ice plants can grow in Colorado?

Donna

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
how long do you think it would take a 100lb sulc to mow thru that?

Status
Not open for further replies.