Successful heating in south Florida

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I just wanted to share a success story.
It almost never gets into the 40s here. But last week it reached 46 degrees.
I have two night houses attached to my primary Redfoot pen. Previously, they each had a single 50 watt CHE. Before that it was a single 50 watt black light bulb. Each was a step up.
The 50 watt CHE was able to raise the temps in those houses by up to 12 degrees.
I've switched to 75 watt CHEs and this week while it was 46• outside, it was actually toasty inside the houses.
I no longer need to bring any tortoises inside.
The houses are composting bins from Home Depot. Attached to the sides of the pen. There is a 12" square hole with a rubber auto floor mat from the dollar store hanging from the top as a wind break.
Inside is a PVC pipe with the CHE suspended by a chain inside a heat rated fixture.
These boxes are not insulated.
Insulating them would increase the efficiency. But most nights. It's only in the lower 60s.
The tortoises come and go throughout the day and night. If I want them to stay, I place a cement block in front of the flap so that they stay warm.
The CHE are on from 7 to 7.

Attachments

• 20210112_185944.jpg
    20210112_185944.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190412_113359.jpg
    20190412_113359.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 35

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
I just wanted to share a success story.
It almost never gets into the 40s here. But last week it reached 46 degrees.
I have two night houses attached to my primary Redfoot pen. Previously, they each had a single 50 watt CHE. Before that it was a single 50 watt black light bulb. Each was a step up.
The 50 watt CHE was able to raise the temps in those houses by up to 12 degrees.
I've switched to 75 watt CHEs and this week while it was 46• outside, it was actually toasty inside the houses.
I no longer need to bring any tortoises inside.
The houses are composting bins from Home Depot. Attached to the sides of the pen. There is a 12" square hole with a rubber auto floor mat from the dollar store hanging from the top as a wind break.
Inside is a PVC pipe with the CHE suspended by a chain inside a heat rated fixture.
These boxes are not insulated.
Insulating them would increase the efficiency. But most nights. It's only in the lower 60s.
The tortoises come and go throughout the day and night. If I want them to stay, I place a cement block in front of the flap so that they stay warm.
The CHE are on from 7 to 7.
You could use the expanding door foam if you ever think you need insulate.