Successful breeding of Cuora (Pyxidea) mouhotii

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
Just a quick, pre-holiday update: the remaining hatchlings that have remained with me are doing phenomenally well -eating like crazy and growing like little weeds. Their favorite food, hands own, is Omega One... they prefer it to anything 'meaty' I offer them. 129950986_144711623729547_4306920392000871591_n.png

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
Just a quick, pre-holiday update: the remaining hatchlings that have remained with me are doing phenomenally well -eating like crazy and growing like little weeds. Their favorite food, hands own, is Omega One... they prefer it to anything 'meaty' I offer them. View attachment 313602
which of the Omega One foods do you feed them? Do you feed juvenile or adult that comes in sticks?

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
Hutsie, I feed the adult stick. I put the babies in separate containers with a little water and let the pellets float. When the turtles move, the pellets move. They stalk them just as they do with worms.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Thanks, I can hardly wait to get my baby from you, your babies are so well started and taken care of. If anyone out there wants one, you should contact Jonathan fast, they won't last long and they are high quality.

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
Thank you for you vote of Confidence Hutsie, all babies are spoken for! I never name babies but these seem to have named themselves: Robert, Edith and Shrimpie...all characters from Downton Abbey. Wonder how that happened? Robert and Shrimpie will be going to PA, Edith will be traveling to you shortly.

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
I just noticed that, since I began this thread, there have been 24,000 views (!). This species of box turtle must be more popular than I had imagined. I can understand why, but it's still more than I imagined. :p

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Can hardly wait to meet mine, but willing to wait til shipping is safe. Edith might be changed to Georgia O'Keeffe as my other one is Petey Grafitti. As I am an artist, I like the theme of art in my names. Either way, I will be glad to meet Edith. I am glad they all have homes now. Your knowledge is important to the species and reading all you have done with breeding them and taking care of them is priceless. You should make a care sheet that has all the info in one place. One that can be referred to easily. Care, habitat, care for babies, care for juveniles and adults, feeding different ages, breeding and egg care. All in one care sheet would be priceless and you have the knowledge.

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
January 2, 2021: I've uploaded a few pictures of the babies before they are sent out to their new homes. Look at the difference in size between these two guys: the smaller one is from the 'forgotten egg' that hatched three weeks later than his clutchmates. He eats like a tiger but so do they. He's doing his best to catch up. This was a dicey picture to take: these are lively little devils so juggling them and the camera was quite a challenge. This is really an overlooked species -it may lack the color of some of its Cuora cousins, its beauty is rather more understated with rich russet and mahogany hues, but its personality and interesting behavior more than make up for any deficit in looks. IMG_6389.JPGIMG_6390.JPGIMG_6393.JPG

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
They look super and getting bigger fast. Thanks for sharing the photos.

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
**** Bartlett just posted some pictures of the babies I sent him and the pictures are too good not to share. These babies are thriving under his and Patti's care. So glad I be be the 'missing link' in the chain that finally got **** his much sought after Pyxidea mohoutii obst!140034121_3562515270464676_6828668187440955633_o (1).jpg140616789_3562515357131334_8569234053941249373_o.jpg

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
The above photos are courtesy of **** Bartlett...and TF won't let me write the name '****'. So the above photos are courtesy of Richard Bartlett, known to millions of herp enthusiasts as '****'

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Too funny! At first I thought you were trying to protect **** identity. But then i was like **** name is everywhere by his own choice.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
<Blush> Thank you for the kind words Jonathan, I've enjoyed growing out these turtles from hatchlings to young adults the last few years. I hope I can replicate your special ability to reproduce this beautiful species in a few years.

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
<Blush> Thank you for the kind words Jonathan, I've enjoyed growing out these turtles from hatchlings to young adults the last few years. I hope I can replicate your special ability to reproduce this beautiful species in a few years.

Something tells me you're not going to have a problem with this. If there's such a thing as reincarnation, I want to come back as one of your turtles!

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
Both my obsti females decided today was a good to nest and they gifted me with eleven eggs: 5 from the smaller female, 6 from 'Big Mama'. All have been placed in Tupperware containers, resting on a bed of moistened sphagnum/vermiculite. Incubation is at 81F - 83F.
And now the wait begins.....

Attachments

• !!!!!!!-adx1.jpg
    !!!!!!!-adx1.jpg
    774.3 KB · Views: 3
  • !!!!!!!-adx3.jpg
    !!!!!!!-adx3.jpg
    744.2 KB · Views: 3
  • !!!!!!!-adx2.jpg
    !!!!!!!-adx2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3