Successful breeding of Cuora (Pyxidea) mouhotii

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
The adults (3.5) were WC and arrived in varying degrees of debility; after many trips to the vet's and $$$ spent, I was left with 1.2. Although they have still retained some of their initial shyness, they are robust and heavy as bricks. They are also aggressive and cunning hunters: I saw the male ambush and devour a sparrow that dared to venture to drink from his soaking pool. Nothing was left, not a feather, not even a beak! They love large land snails, crunching them up like M&Ms. The first food I was able to tempt them with was pineapple(!)

Oh wow! I assumed they were just cute little urtles, not fierce pitbulls!

Congrats on your babies and best wishes for the triplets! ❤

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
As an aside, ALL the turtles (Breeders and offspring), which I have in my collection have been definitively diagnosed as pure, 100% Cuora (Pyxidea) mouhotii obsti. So the babies are not 'mongrels' as someone suggested, or 'mutts' which is worse. Even turtles can be snobs about their lineage and pedigree and the ones with me are rightly proud of the integrity of their bloodlines.002.JPG

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Like they came in on the Mayflower!
Jonathan,
I have tried to contact you for a while now, but hope you read this reply. You have done wonders with your Mouhotiis. I would like to know how you feed your hatchlings. I am on a list for a hatchling due in Aug or Sept. I have had young adults and adults and one hatchling Mouhotii, so I would love to know how you raise yours. thank you.

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
Jonathan,
I have tried to contact you for a while now, but hope you read this reply. You have done wonders with your Mouhotiis. I would like to know how you feed your hatchlings. I am on a list for a hatchling due in Aug or Sept. I have had young adults and adults and one hatchling Mouhotii, so I would love to know how you raise yours. thank you.
Hutsie, I believe I responded to a message which you sent me not too long ago...right? Check your inbox

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Jonathan,
I have read every post on this thread with keen interest. The big male mouhotii I had I got in the early 1980's. It was $15.00 and no one knew what it was. I had Pritchard's book and found out for myself. He was full grown and never shy at all. He became quite a pet around our house and we had him for a long time. I didn't know any better then, but he had the run of the house, coming to the bathroom to shower and bask. He would greet people at the door when they came in and everyone loved him. Sadly when he and several other mouhotiis were in their outside enclosure, with cement block walls, a big storm came up and knocked a tree limb over which knocked over some of the cement blocks. All my mouhotiis escaped being restless in the rain and I never found any of them. They all had such great personalities I miss that. They escaped into a field and woods of 300 acres, but I am sure they did not survive the winter here in NC. I look so forward to getting another one.

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
The smaller of the two female obsti was acting very restless so I put her in the nesting box (even 'though she's a month early). In less than an hour she deposited five eggs on 8/13. All five eggs have banded so now the waiting begins.!!!!!!.jpg

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
Additionally, Big Sally (!!!!.jpgCuora serrata), was acting very restless as well. Put her in the nesting box and voila! Less than an hour later she nested and deposited three eggs, I'm thinking that nest box must be magic: put a turtle in, take eggs out. What more could I ask for?

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
How exciting I am glad to hear of the eggs!!!

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
how exciting to hear about the eggs!!!

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
how exciting to hear about the eggs!!!