Subtrate for a large area

Yellowfang15

I just wanted to know if there are any affordable subtrates that I can use for my Greek Tort that he can burrow in. I have been using timothy hay but find that he does not seem to like it as much. Cypress Mulch is expensive, and I do not know much about potting soil.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Coco coir! :D
It is cheap, you can buy it in compacted blocks from pet stores or garden centers, and you can mix it with pretty much anything. It also holds water well. Topsoil can get moldy if your not careful, it is really like a sponge :confused: And sand isn't really... yeah.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
In my outdoor pen I use half organic garden soil and half Peatmoss. I just mixed it all up really well and it wasn't too expensive. Coco coiris also great although I have not used it outdoors I do use it for the indoor enclosure

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Make your own compost. Even if you have to buy soil this year, it's worth doing & you can add it later

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Coco coir! :D
It is cheap, you can buy it in compacted blocks from pet stores or garden centers, and you can mix it with pretty much anything. It also holds water well. Topsoil can get moldy if your not careful, it is really like a sponge :confused: And sand isn't really... yeah.
I'm buying the coco coir tomorrow :) I took back the pellet stuff