Substrate

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Hello all. My Greek Darwin is a week away from turning a year old and I need a new substrate. I was told by the place

Sorry I accidentally posted, I am just going to continue. As I was saying, I was told by the place I got him to use rabbit pellets until he was a here old, in case he swallowed any. Now that he is just about a year old, I was wondering what substrate to switch too and where I could get it.
Thanks a lot

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Too bad you didn't know us a year ago. Rabbit/alfalfa pellets are NOT a good substrate, and especially NOT GOOD for babies. Baby tortoises of all kinds need a substrate that you can moisten.

Quite a few folks here on the forum, in fact I'm starting to be outnumbered, so I should say "most" of the folk here on the forum prefer Bed-A-Beast. This is a compressed brick of dehydrated coconut coir. You put it in a bucket of water and it falls apart and rehydrates. Then you squeeze out the excess moisture and mix it with something else - either cypress mulch, potting soil, sand...its really your choice in what you like best.

My preference is Orchid Bark. I just love the stuff for substrate. I buy the "small" grade and its easy for the baby to walk on. You can keep it moist and it doesn't turn sour.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Unfortunately, the info they gave you was bad. No tortoise should ever be raised on the pellets. You can use plain dirt, coconut coir, cypress mulch or orchard bark are all good substrates.

Soph

What age tortoise do you suggested this sort of substrate to be used?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hehehe, Yvonne, we're taking over! :D
I do love coir, but bark like cypress mulch and orchid bark are great choices too. ;)
Pure potting soil is great. as well.
Carpet, pellets, sand...never good choices :( Petstores(guess?) really just lack knowledge about our friends!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I use coco coir exclusively for babies. For my older guys i put coco husk fiber on top of the coir. It holds the moisture and humidity wonderfully!