substrate

chell222

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
uk herts
Ok im now confused ...
I have a russain tortoise and was using substrate of sand /limerock brought from the pet shop.
Changed tortoise yesterday to 50/50 coco coir & top soil . last night he buried himself more wasn't able to do that with the sand much... hes eating well pooping and still lively . but a friend giving me advise ( she has 3 horsfields) has told me to get the tortoise off coco and use 50 sand 50 top soil

thanks Michelle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have found that the type of substrate you use is a personal choice. You want to give the tortoise what he needs - something you can slightly moisten, something soft enough that he can dig into it, and something that you can clean easily. I prefer orchid bark, then cypress mulch. But many, many members use coco coir mixed with a little bit of sand/dirt. You can try what your friend has suggested and see if it does what you want it to do...this is strictly up to you.

chell222

5 Year Member
uk herts
Yvonne G said:
I have found that the type of substrate you use is a personal choice. You want to give the tortoise what he needs - something you can slightly moisten, something soft enough that he can dig into it, and something that you can clean easily. I prefer orchid bark, then cypress mulch. But many, many members use coco coir mixed with a little bit of sand/dirt. You can try what your friend has suggested and see if it does what you want it to do...this is strictly up to you.

Thank you .... going to leave as it is right now as he seems quite happy

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I do not agree with using sand, just my opinion. If injested it can cause impaction. I use coco oir only and my torts seem to like it just fine. Good luck.

chell222

5 Year Member
uk herts
cemmons12 said:
I do not agree with using sand, just my opinion. If injested it can cause impaction. I use coco oir only and my torts seem to like it just fine. Good luck.

He is totally happy with his coco/ top soil mix so im sticking with that... I agree I wasn't happy using sand either . Thanks

sirjojo

5 Year Member
i switched from 100% fir bark to fir bark/top soil 50/50 and so far my little Greek is happy. I put the food and water on the top soil and the sleept/basking on the fir bark.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I also use a mix of coco coir, and topsoil. It is a good mix for russians, in my opinion. It allows for easy burrowing.