Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rhode Island
So, right now I have my Redfoots on topsoil/sand mix and coconut coir, there is sphagnum moss and plants and all that good stuff in there. They love to climb in and out of their water dish all day long so as you could imagine it gets pretty gross. I have no problem cleaning it out, but I clean the dish 5-6 times a day because it become a swamp and extremely dense (i go to school all day long twice a week so i cant clean it until i get home) The little ones enjoy sticking their heads in the water so I don't want them drinking all that dirt. Long story short, I want to use cypress mulch (it won't dirty the water as much) but they don't sell it here :/ (I live in Rhode Island) Is there any other mulch I could use? Any ideas? Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I personally use either coco coir or peat moss as the substrate...you may try to line around the water dish with river rocks that are sunken into the soil...so the rocks create a rock border (not high and sunken into the substrate evenly) and this may reduce the muck in the water....also, if the tortoise wants water and was out in the wild....likely the dusty water is not an issue then so likely your water dish is fine with a bit of soil in it..:D

I was concerned though that you said you have sand in the enclosure, I personally have issues with the increased impaction risk and potential eye damage that sand presents....

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
ascott said:
I personally use either coco coir or peat moss as the substrate...you may try to line around the water dish with river rocks that are sunken into the soil...so the rocks create a rock border (not high and sunken into the substrate evenly) and this may reduce the muck in the water....also, if the tortoise wants water and was out in the wild....likely the dusty water is not an issue then so likely your water dish is fine with a bit of soil in it..:D

I was concerned though that you said you have sand in the enclosure, I personally have issues with the increased impaction risk and potential eye damage that sand presents....

Thanks! I will do that! The river rocks are a great idea :) and no worries the sand is on the very bottom, the dirt and then the coco coir is on top. I just put it there as another moisture boost. I was also worried about the eye danger. Thanks for the great advice!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If that doesn't work for you, you can also try a little smaller second water dish. One they can drink from, but not fit in. This as a second dish. Keep the large one in for them to still get into.

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
wellington said:
If that doesn't work for you, you can also try a little smaller second water dish. One they can drink from, but not fit in. This as a second dish. Keep the large one in for them to still get into.

I never thought of that... Good idea, I think I'm going to do both! River rocks and a small drinking dish:) thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.