Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I haven't even thought to use orchard bark. Thanks for the idea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nope. If you read further on down in the ad, it tells you its made from Ponderosa pine and fir bark. Pine is a no-no with turtles and tortoises.

franeich

5 Year Member
Which one Golden valley rd or boquet canyon

Do you think this is the same stuff

082567032113xl.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't tell, but its definitely a different brand and bag.

Bouquet Cyn. I didn't know there was another one over there.

mwindman

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a sulcata and his indoor enclosure has coconut husk that you soak for 1/2 hour and makes about 1 gallon of substrate and comes in blocks of 3; I just a cat litter scooper and it cleans his enclosure nicely

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Found the manufacturer site for Tom's brand of mulch.

http://www.gro-well.com/lawnandgarden/list-ground-covers-garden-time.html

Both the pathway bark and the small western decorative are made with both pine and fir, so what's the difference between the two? Dunno, it doesn't really say.

I'm going to guess that the pathway is basically extra-small with even more fines (for better compaction for good footing as a walkway).

That would leave me to believe that if Tom's had no trouble from the pine in the walkway stuff, the small stuff SHOULD be fine for you Peanut.

For those that are wondering "if Pine is evil, why has Tom had no trouble?"

IMHO it has to do with the degraded nature of the mulch. In the pictures Tom's stuff looks at least partially decomposed (A true mulch) and not chopped up fresh (green) pine. The toxins will all tend to be washed away and broken down. SHOULD be harmless.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Balboa said:
Found the manufacturer site for Tom's brand of mulch.

http://www.gro-well.com/lawnandgarden/list-ground-covers-garden-time.html

Both the pathway bark and the small western decorative are made with both pine and fir, so what's the difference between the two? Dunno, it doesn't really say.

I'm going to guess that the pathway is basically extra-small with even more fines (for better compaction for good footing as a walkway).

That would leave me to believe that if Tom's had no trouble from the pine in the walkway stuff, the small stuff SHOULD be fine for you Peanut.

For those that are wondering "if Pine is evil, why has Tom had no trouble?"

IMHO it has to do with the degraded nature of the mulch. In the pictures Tom's stuff looks at least partially decomposed (A true mulch) and not chopped up fresh (green) pine. The toxins will all tend to be washed away and broken down. SHOULD be harmless.

Thank you for help & research! I'll see if we have that available in my local Home Depot (whittier, Ca)

Bronson

5 Year Member
Wichita, Kansas
Hey everybody,

If anyone can tell me where I can get some of this stuff it would be greatly appreciated! I live in Wichita Kansas Thanks!

Bronson

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Bronson said:
Hey everybody,

If anyone can tell me where I can get some of this stuff it would be greatly appreciated! I live in Wichita Kansas Thanks!

Bronson

I found it at my local Home Depot.

Bronson

5 Year Member
Wichita, Kansas
I've checked home depot, lowes, and even the local johnson's garden center I don't know what the deal is.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry to hear that. It might be seasonal or they might have discontinued it. That sort of thing happens all the time in my experience. That's why I bought so many bags of it. Wish I knew how to help.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Great & Cheap, I Bought My Bag Of Bark From petsmart On Sale!
Its A Big Bag For $5.58 :)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I would probably just suggest that you go to those stores and look around. Take some pictures of what they have or at least the names and do a little research online. Let us know what you find and we should be able to let you know if it's safe or not.

Bronson

5 Year Member
Wichita, Kansas
Well I gave up on that idea! lol Thanks everyone but it seems everything in the world I like they stop making. I picked up a big ol bag of cypress mulch at lowes for $1.98!

Thanks for everyones help!
Bronson

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Bronson said:
Well I gave up on that idea! lol Thanks everyone but it seems everything in the world I like they stop making. I picked up a big ol bag of cypress mulch at lowes for $1.98!

Thanks for everyones help!
Bronson

That's an awesome deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.