Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've been using a lot of this stuff lately. Daisy has been on it for around a year now. I also use it for my other reptiles. It seems to be a soil/orchid bark mix. I love it. Its cheap, clean, easy and holds moisture well.

Retails for $4.38 at LOWES for one of these big bags. Its around ten bucks for a tiny little bag of this kind of stuff at the chain pet stores. One of those ten dollar bags wouldn't be enough for my tarantula cage!

I bought a few.
s262id.jpg

111jqyd.jpg

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
I'm so glad you posted this Tom. I've been looking for orchid bark. None at our Home depot or Walmart. And yes it's very pricey at Petco for a little bag. How big (or small) are the bark pieces?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DonaTello said:
I'm so glad you posted this Tom. I've been looking for orchid bark. None at our Home depot or Walmart. And yes it's very pricey at Petco for a little bag. How big (or small) are the bark pieces?

They are nice and small. Here it is in Daisy's enclosure. Its very wet in this pic.
15nal92.jpg

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
Ok you sold me on this! Thanks Tom for sharing this with us. As you know animals can be very expensive and anything to help save a little money I'm for. Or maybe help with my electricity bill...Lol

LOWES is a 30 minute drive for me but well worth it at this price. I could stock up!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DonaTello said:
Ok you sold me on this! Thanks Tom for sharing this with us. As you know animals can be very expensive and anything to help save a little money I'm for. Or maybe help with my electricity bill...Lol

LOWES is a 30 minute drive for me but well worth it at this price. I could stock up!

I feel your pain on the electric bill. I always use the lowest wattage bulbs possible. 50 watts for small torts and 75 for bigger ones. I use spot bulbs and move them close enough to give me the desired temps. This works if you give them sunshine several times a week for UV. You are in SoCal aren't you? Maybe you should pick up some bulbs while you are at Lowes.:D

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
I live in Lompoc, central coast. And NO I'm not buying new bulbs because I spent an arm and 2 legs for the ones I have now! Yes the darn 'pet chain' stores screwed me (pun intended) on these because I wanted them NOW instead of getting them online. Imagine my face twisted in pain when I read a post here saying they got 3 of my bulbs (MVB) for the price I paid for one, errrrr. And don't get me started on my CHE, same sad story. LOl Anyhow it's been so warm here I haven't needed my MVB for a few days now......Hello springtime!!!!

I'm gonna started a thread on elect bills, curious about others bill.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Tom said:
Retails for $4.38 at LOWES for one of these big bags. Its around ten bucks for a tiny little bag of this kind of stuff at the chain pet stores. One of those ten dollar bags wouldn't be enough for my tarantula cage!

Wish I saw this yesterday. I bought 2 big bags of Forest Floor cypress mulch for $26 each total because I was done with the messy coconut husk/cypress mulch mix. Wow what a difference all cypress makes.

The kids can hardly be coaxed out of their new fluffy environment. Sleeping good after their bath. Maybe tomorrow the little piggies will come out for some muchies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom: Does the bag say what kinds of bark is in the mixture?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:
Tom: Does the bag say what kinds of bark is in the mixture?

I don't remember. I'll check tomorrow for you. I've been using this exact stuff, from this company, in this same bag, for several years now, with no problems whatsoever.
I'm positive its safe. The company that makes it is called Western Organics.

On the front of the bag it says, "Forrest Products". I'll check the bag carefully in the morning and see if it lists it somewhere else.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Hmm would this be a suitable substrate for a Russian? Maybe I'll use it for Nelson...
I'm currently using plain coir but I was planning on mixing organic soil into it this weekend.

moswen

5 Year Member
i love it. this is not available at my lowe's. does anyone know if i can have it shipped to my lowes but not pay shipping?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I'll bet the Lowe's employees can answer that question if you call and ask. Of course, these days it pays to write down said employee's name in case they give you misinformation (to go off topic, even my BANK has been doing this a lot lately--it's very worrisome!) :rolleyes:

I love the cypress "Forest Floor" I get from Petco. Taco stays clean and has firm footing, and with the coir and sphagnum moss mixed in it holds moisture pretty well. :)

Tom, you should write a book for Sulcata beginners. I love how you always put your "subjects" into the frame. ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Stephanie Logan said:
I'll bet the Lowe's employees can answer that question if you call and ask. Of course, these days it pays to write down said employee's name in case they give you misinformation (to go off topic, even my BANK has been doing this a lot lately--it's very worrisome!) :rolleyes:

I love the cypress "Forest Floor" I get from Petco. Taco stays clean and has firm footing, and with the coir and sphagnum moss mixed in it holds moisture pretty well. :)

Tom, you should write a book for Sulcata beginners. I love how you always put your "subjects" into the frame. ;)

I took a bunch of plain old label pics, but Scooter just HAD to check out what I was doing. I thought since you could still see the label just fine, why not post the pic with the tortoise in it on the tortoise forum?

By the way, don't know exactly what's in it. Looks like orchid bark and soil. No fertilizers or chemicals of any kind.

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
would this be good for any tort? Also how do you all feel about the clean/unclean debate? Some say stick with the substrate at the pet store because it has been cleaned and checked for any lil bugs, others say any good ol' fashion garden supplies would be great.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know all tort species well enough to make such a blanket statement, but it would work well for any of the ones I'm familiar with. Great for a Russian. I don't think an adult Russian needs a whole lot of humidity. They are very adaptable. You can let this stuff dry out, keep it wet, or anything in between.

The pet store suppliers get their products from the same source as the garden center/hardware stores. You are just paying more for marketing and packaging. I worked in the retail pet industry for 8 years. Its the same stuff from the same source. Nobody is cleaning it or checking it for bugs. They just take it out of a big bag, like the one pictured, and put it in to a little bag with their label on it. They pay the same price for the big bags as we do.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I like the looks of the soil/ orchard Bark!! I went to Lowes last night and got 3 cubic feet of Cypress mulch for $3.78!!! It is a huge bag...hubby has to lug it around for me I can't lift it. I did notice Lowe's has quite a few different types of gardening supplies that would make great substrate for our Torties!! Great prices. I advise all to check Lowe's garden center and check these out especially if you're on a budget! And their Mosser Lee Spagnum moss is under $4.00 also...smaller little bale of it at petco is $14.99!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where in the country are you that Lowes carries cypress mulch?!

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
We dont have any lowes in the UK, but from the pictures it looks a lot like what we would call 'ornamental bark' which i use for my flower beds. It is fairly inexpensive here from garen centers, but not as cheap as you say.

Maybe ill try some of my left over bark for alfie in her summer house :)

Status
Not open for further replies.