Substrate Update querry with Pictures of Star T - India

Deepesh

Hi i have 2 star tortoise in India since 5 months.
I will share the pix of their enclosure i built.

I am looking to update the enclosure.

Currently:
The substrate is Soil - Dried(from a local plant shop )
Plywood Enclosure and glass on one side.
They used to try to get out of the glass .. but now they are used to it so no issues.
I clean them once a week.
And Soak them once every 3 days.
They Eat Well

Problem:
They get too dirty after getting into water and walking around. This has made them darker.
I havent cleaned the enclosure for about 3 months now. Thus i need an update.

Update:
Can someone tell me what substrate would be good. Also can you provide links. My budget is very low. and recommend.
Or can i just put a carpet. If so which one? (My Budget is very low)
Because after they have water they get into the bedding and dirty themselves a lot and cleaning is a mess.

LINKs of Amazon/Ebay or any other website from india would be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_6767.JPG
    IMG_6767.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6768.JPG
    IMG_6768.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6769.JPG
    IMG_6769.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6770.JPG
    IMG_6770.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6771.JPG
    IMG_6771.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 74

Khushroo

They are beautiful.
I use coco peat..but many people recommend Coco peat with a mix of little soil.
Coco peat 3kg came around 80rs...and it should be enuf for ur enclosure.
The only problem of Coco peat is it dries soon so everyday I have to spray water on it. But being in Mumbai humidity isn't much of a problem for me.

My torts I hv to soak everyday..cause if I skip one day then they end up ******** in Thier enclosure. But if it's once is 3days its good as per many owners as Thier body gets more time to absorb the nutrients from the food they ate.

Deepesh

They are beautiful.
I use coco peat..but many people recommend Coco peat with a mix of little soil.
Coco peat 3kg came around 80rs...and it should be enuf for ur enclosure.
The only problem of Coco peat is it dries soon so everyday I have to spray water on it. But being in Mumbai humidity isn't much of a problem for me.

My torts I hv to soak everyday..cause if I skip one day then they end up ******** in Thier enclosure. But if it's once is 3days its good as per many owners as Thier body gets more time to absorb the nutrients from the food they ate.
Awesome im from Mumbai too .. send me a msg .. we could discuss about this

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have tried all kinds of substrate for tortoises and by far, the best I've used is Fine grade Orchid bark (Fir Bark) It is readily available at most garden centers, and in India I see references for it for sale as well as growing orchids is popular there as well. Nothing else holds moisture as well, yet remains resistant to any molding. It is by far the least messy substrate. I have found my stars like water and will go in and out of it all day. More than a lot of other species I keep. Using soil or coco coir gets extremely messy with that. If coco coir dries out, it also becomes quite dusty and irritating to the eyes of stars. Same with most soils. Sands can contribute to possible impaction. Pine bark or any other bark does not hold moisture as well and releases fumes from the oils in the wood and are not a good choice at all.

Do a search for Fine Grade Orchid Bark. It is Fir Bark. No additives, plain bark. The best choice by far.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
I have tried all kinds of substrate for tortoises and by far, the best I've used is Fine grade Orchid bark (Fir Bark) It is readily available at most garden centers, and in India I see references for it for sale as well as growing orchids is popular there as well. Nothing else holds moisture as well, yet remains resistant to any molding. It is by far the least messy substrate. I have found my stars like water and will go in and out of it all day. More than a lot of other species I keep. Using soil or coco coir gets extremely messy with that. If coco coir dries out, it also becomes quite dusty and irritating to the eyes of stars. Same with most soils. Sands can contribute to possible impaction. Pine bark or any other bark does not hold moisture as well and releases fumes from the oils in the wood and are not a good choice at all.

Do a search for Fine Grade Orchid Bark. It is Fir Bark. No additives, plain bark. The best choice by far.
Hi @Markw84 , for this substrate, how should we manage when we see some parts got soiled by faeces and urine? Scooped it up and throw away?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi @Markw84 , for this substrate, how should we manage when we see some parts got soiled by faeces and urine? Scooped it up and throw away?
Stars that are small enough to be kept indoors are also soaked most every day. They will always poop in the soaking water. That really limits the amount I find they will then do in the enclosure. The times they do go in the enclosure, it is easy enough to simply pick it up and toss it.

Tortoises do not produce urine. They produce urates which is a white creamy/pasty substance they will sometimes eliminate with their other waste. Sometimes they will also release some with excess water they release in their soaking tub. A well hydrated tortoise will sometimes release excess water while soaking. A frightened tortoise will sometimes release water if picked up. But it is harmless water, not urine.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
Stars that are small enough to be kept indoors are also soaked most every day. They will always poop in the soaking water. That really limits the amount I find they will then do in the enclosure. The times they do go in the enclosure, it is easy enough to simply pick it up and toss it.

Tortoises do not produce urine. They produce urates which is a white creamy/pasty substance they will sometimes eliminate with their other waste. Sometimes they will also release some with excess water they release in their soaking tub. A well hydrated tortoise will sometimes release excess water while soaking. A frightened tortoise will sometimes release water if picked up. But it is harmless water, not urine.
Oh thank you, I thought all those water are urine. :) . Yes, for the urates, if it coats the substrate, we scoop that part and toss it?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yup, it's called spot cleaning, you just throw out the dirty bits, no need to keep replacing the whole lot.