Substrate Sources. Where do you get yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Red Deer, AB
So I need roughly 532 litres of substrate, or 141 gallons if you will. Now, if I go to the local Wal-mart, they sell soil in 15L bags. Using simple math, I would need 36 bags of soil (since I can't buy half a bag, I gotta round up). At roughly $4 a bag, that comes to $144.00... Hopefully with tax.
To be honest, that's damn near the price of the enclosure itself. But I also know, that there is always another way. So I turn to the forums, this one amongst others.
I need basically 1/2 of a cubic metre of soil. Or 1/2 tonne. Any of you do any landscaping or massive herb gardening? Where did you get your topsoil from, and how much did it cost ya per cubic yard, or cubic metre... or per tonne?
I'm not in a total rush, I can wait 'til spring, so I just need ideas right now, and ballpark estimates.
Don't know if they still have the free topsoil lots around town, so I may need to find other sources.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Look in the Yellow Pages and call a few swimming pool places. If they have a job in your area they would probably be more than happy to drop a load of dirt off at your property for free. Saves them a trip to where ever they have to take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.