Status
Not open for further replies.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
And we may not be out of danger yet :(
I was using aspen in Turtle's table (he's a Greek) because he ate the sand that I started him with. Well, the day before yesterday he didn't eat much breakfast but I didn't worry too much then yesterday he barely ate anything and nothing this morning. I couldn't even get him to eat his cactus fruities! I gave him a nice long soak yesterday and he did pee. Anyway, this afternoon he pooped (he hadn't in the past 2 days) and there were 2 pieces of aspen in it!!! Of course I panicked and took all the aspen out and replaced it with eco-earth. He's tracking it all over his food tile (it's empty right now) and all through his water (changed it twice already), I know it's mostly because it's new and he's exploring but now I'm worried about him eating and drinking it. He will get some when he eats and drinks...is that going to be an issue? I've read not but now I'm in state over this whole thing. Help please!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Clementine_3 said:
And we may not be out of danger yet :(
I was using aspen in Turtle's table (he's a Greek) because he ate the sand that I started him with. Well, the day before yesterday he didn't eat much breakfast but I didn't worry too much then yesterday he barely ate anything and nothing this morning. I couldn't even get him to eat his cactus fruities! I gave him a nice long soak yesterday and he did pee. Anyway, this afternoon he pooped (he hadn't in the past 2 days) and there were 2 pieces of aspen in it!!! Of course I panicked and took all the aspen out and replaced it with eco-earth. He's tracking it all over his food tile (it's empty right now) and all through his water (changed it twice already), I know it's mostly because it's new and he's exploring but now I'm worried about him eating and drinking it. He will get some when he eats and drinks...is that going to be an issue? I've read not but now I'm in state over this whole thing. Help please!

The eco-earth stuff goes right through. Now if he is eating large amounts, there could be issues. I've seen my leopard dig his nose through the eco-earth and get tiny pieces of it in his mouth, no issues yet.

And yes, it is very very messy. A few people suggested to me, to put rocks around the water dish so as he goes over the rocks to the water he rubs off a lot of it. Same could be used for the tile.

Someone also suggested maybe putting Moss in around it, as it will brush off the substrate as well, but I am not sure what kind would be safe if it ate some (which he would lol).

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Was he actually eating the aspen, or did some get on his food and then he ate it? It's more likely you need to change how your food id set up with the substrate, and not actually the substrate. Substrates we choose for torts here on the forum at least (not sand by itself) are made to be digestible in small amounts. If two pieces is all he ate that is fine as long as his bowel system is still moving. Can you provide pictures of how his food dish is set up? Also, most torts sample the substrate at first and after that won't touch it. Same with fake plants and other cage furnishings. With a Greek, I'd just use whatever substrate works best for both of you. Pyramiding isn't much of a concern, so if aspen is easier for you and Turtle stops eating it, I'd just use that. I love aspen for my Russian. The best you can do with the substrate is seperate it from the food and water as much as possible.

I have half a 12 by 12 inch slate tile for a 3 inch tort to eat on. It works great and it's rare I see aspen tracked onto the food at all. For his water there is a bowl with stairs that has a large lip all around it. It's also rare we get any substrate in the bowl. See picture below.

9gfshw.jpg

cueball

5 Year Member
Thats a mighty nice enclosure you got there but you can't see on all sides. Its such a big enclosure for such a small tortoise. Then again I've heard you had to have a big enclosure for the small tortoises. I myself have a pretty big enclosure but not as big as that. I really don't know what the minimum for a russian tortoise is. But you know what I think mine is big enough.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Thanks!
He eats off of a 12 x 12 tile and the aspen he ate must have been stuck to something, he did not eat it on purpose. When I first got him I tried him on sand, that he actually was eating on purpose so I changed to aspen.
I'll see how we both like the eco-earth, I can always switch back.
I know how easy it is for my little Leopard geckos to get impacted and realize it's the same concern for torts so flew into a fit :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
cueball-What do you mean you can't see on all sides? I have about 95% of it showing with the photo angle. Yes, it's huge! I spoil him. 8 sq ft for a 3 inch tort. I built it and planned to block half off, but it got full once I put everything in, so I'll build a second story over half of it after awhile. Thanks for the comments! I just wanted to show the food slate tile and water dish and how the substrate doesn't get in either too much.

Clementine-With how you have it set up I hope this was a one time occurrence. As long as you don't see him purposefully eating it, and you don't see more than 1 piece every once in awhile in the poop it's probably ok. I pick the aspen off the tile when I put food out everyday, but only wash the tile if he poos or pees on it. That's great you'll try the eco earth. Yes, impaction is bad!

I had a little scare with my little guy not pooping for 4 days, but he just did so all is well. I sent my fiance a text about it lol. I hadn't been home all week to see him awake, only gave him food and water while he was sleeping, so I was worried this week not finding any poop. I wouldn't be surprised if he pooped in a burrow or something too (he digs like crazy).

M

Maggie Cummings

Clementine...did you mix the coir with sand? You should mix it 50/50 and less of it would get tracked around. You'd need to keep it moist as well...and that will also help to stop the tracking...

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
No, I did not mix it. He was eating sand when I had it in there when I first got him...I mean eating it by the mouthful, on purpose. I don't want to go there again! He's a naughty tortoise!
It is moist still, I just put it in yesterday so it hasn't dried out yet.
Thanks!!

M

Maggie Cummings

The coir is best mixed with sand, and I don't think he would eat it as long as it's mixed. The coir will hold moisture better and less would be ingested if it was mixed. One last thought...if you keep your tort well hydrated he wouldn't get impacted if tha's your fear. I have never had a tortoise either eat the coir/sand mixture and I have never had a tort get impacted...

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Thanks Maggie.
Yes, impaction is my fear with him. He hasn't, that I've seen, tried to eat the eco-earth and that makes me a happy girl. I have some sand and may add some in, I just have to get over my worries about it.
He pooped again this morning and another piece of aspen came out. I gave him a small bit of melon yesterday to hopefully hurry things along.
I also made a frame to fit around the tile, he has to climb over it (it's only an inch high) to get his food now. I'm hoping that will help knock some of the dirt off him and help keep the food on the tile. We'll see how that goes. I know that may be overkill but I would rather be silly and safe.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Clementine_3 I would make sure the sand is regular childrens play sand for somewhere like home depot or lowes. It seems to not have the same smell or something that the calci sand or Repti sand has. For some reason it seems more torts tend to eat those types of sand more than play sand. JMHO :)

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
It's play sand. I haven't added it yet...I'm dragging my feet. lol.

I would not use calci-sand for anything, including a cat litter box (if I had a cat)! OK, maybe it has a use for, ummm, weighing the trash bag down in a wind storm. Oh, I hate that stuff and hate that it's sold. I've seen and heard of way too many geckos that have died from it. Since it's made from calcium it encourages ingestion but babies just can't pass it. Adults can fair better but there is still a risk. Such things should not, IMO, be used for them but the manufacturers want the sale not healthy pets. Oooops. Rant over :)

The little frame I made seems to be helping somewhat so far. I should have thought of it sooner, perhaps then he would not have accidentally eaten the aspen to begin with.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have to agree with you about the calci sand. Bad, bad stuff. Glad to hear that the frame is working. We tort moms just have to stay inventive and on our toes :) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.