Substrate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tofuqueen

10 Year Member!
This weekend I decided it's time to get my RT's indoor house ready with clean substrate for the cool New England Fall weather that is quickly approaching. I usually do a mix of 80% topsoil with nothing added, and 20% sterile playground sand. The problem is I can't seem to find the topsoil we usually use. I went to several stores and the only thing I could find without chemicals added is Scott's brand "Premium Topsoil". The ingredients listed are: "Organic material including one or more of the following, peat, composted forest products, aged rice hulls or compost, and sphagnum peat moss". Is this safe for my RT? Thanks for the help!:tort:

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
plain soil is best. sand isn't often recommended by members here due to risk of impaction. even backyard dirt works IMO as long as there's no fertilizer or pesticides.

Watermelon

5 Year Member
Steralised topsoil is best, as long as its steralised then get it.

I

Okay hadnt finished my message!

Jesus done it again, right as I was saying..... I wouldn't use dirt from back yard as there is the danger of cat number 1 and 2 contamination which could result in worms. I think this is right.... can anyone back me up here or am I talking gobbledegook.

nnaaddiinnee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-East Scotland
There is that risk yes. But I am sure no one buys sterilised top soil for outdoor enclosures so the risk of your tort getting worms from using soil from your garden indoors is the same or less than if they stayed in the outdoor enclosure. Your call, but I don't see it as a massive issue really.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I think the risk is more in there being toxic organic materials or chemicals/pesticides in the packaged topsoil rather than "worms". Also, earthworms which you would find in backyard dirt are not really a concern as much as parasitic worms that live in host animals, not usually (I believe) found in plain old dirt (assuming there's no fresh fecal material from say your dog or something)

nnaaddiinnee

5 Year Member
North-East Scotland
I should have been more clear in my post. I was referring to parasitic worms (not earthworms) and as it was pointed out cat/dog faeces contaminating the soil would be the source of these. But I agree that the risk is pretty minor really.

Watermelon

5 Year Member
I wasn't on about earth worms. I was on about parasitic worms. I've got a massive pile of topsoil in my garden but I cant guarantee one of the neighbours cats hasn't taken a dump can I so I don't use it. I buy packaged sterillised topsoil inside and out.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sophie, that is a valid point made....:D I apologize I failed to mention in my prior post, I do not use any type of sprays whatsoever on my entire 1.25 acre piece of property therefore I am not overly concerned about chemicals and while I have seen a cat run across my property (darn thing always trying to catch a quail to munch down on :p) I have never seen poo in any of my guys enclosures nor around where I would collect dirt from :D

But yes, be certain to do a visual to help assure to not collect up a pile of poo.... :D

I am a firm supporter of good ole natural dirt....it has been around some time and has always been pretty reliable in my application needs.....However, this again is one of those things that we all have out own opinion and likes on....;)

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
The problem with buying packaged soil is companies are loose and free with thier labeling. Chemical free can me mostly chemical free and when it says sterilized, how did they sterilize it. As I get older I've grown to mistrust everything from corporations.

If I can compost it myself, I know what's in it. Bird netting keeps cats out as well as the birds. My earthworms are huge, my wife hates snakes and can not stand my "earth snakes."

Status
Not open for further replies.