substrate question

Tortface

Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee
I am a new member and had the same question, but cannot find soil/dirt that doesn’t have other ingredients?? Where can i buy something safe to mix w/coco coir? Dont want to put something that will not be ok for my two sweet russian torts

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I'm not a fan of coco coir, but many, many of our members DO use it and swear by it. It's a personal choice. I'm not sure they mix anything with it. It's fine just by itself, moistened, of course.

My substrate of choice is orchid bark. I buy the fine grade, or small particles.

Tortface

Milwaukee
Thanku. I have two russians CJ n FIN...i believe CJ is a male and FIN female (i think) they were together about 5 yrs, and then CJ started biting n pestering FIN, so built a new enclosure. They both seemed much happier! Look forward to learning more

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am a new member and had the same question, but cannot find soil/dirt that doesn’t have other ingredients?? Where can i buy something safe to mix w/coco coir? Dont want to put something that will not be ok for my two sweet russian torts
Hello and welcome.

Glad to hear you separated them. Better for both of them that way.

Like Yvonne, I also prefer the fine grade orchid bark over other substrates. I think its the best compromise of all the factors.