Substrate is very wet

Kothy

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
I'm new to this, I have two Cherry heads, in separate black tubs, I have the forest floor substrate, and each tub has a zoo med humidifier. It goes 24/7. I noticed since I have screen cover over the tubs to keep in the humidity everything is very wet on the side with the humidifier. Is this supposed to be like this. Humidity is 80-86% and higher. The baby's seem to like it, but it seems very wet to me.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Have you read the red foot care guide under South American Tortoises? It recommends high humidity for young torts.

Kothy

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Connecticut
Then I guess I'm doing right, it is Very humid in there tubs

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Open topped tubs don't work. Humidifiers shouldn't be needed or used. Wet substrate isn't good for any species, but RFs are particularly susceptible to shell rot on the plastron in wet conditions.

You need a closed chamber enclosure. Like these:

A closed chamber makes it easy to maintain optimal excellent conditions for your tortoises. High humidity with dry substrate and no humidifier putting water vapor in the air they breathe.

Kothy

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Connecticut
Ok, now I’m mixed up. I can afford two new set ups. My simple question is how do I raise the humidity of I don’t use the humidifier? Please help. I have covers, screens to cover the tubs. If I don’ t use the steamer, what do I do. I have the basking light, and the heat lamp you recommended . What do I do to bring up the humidity? Other than buying another enclosed. What about the wooden tortoise houses?

Kothy

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Connecticut
Also, I live in Connecticut, it is very dry here. Please help

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ok, now I’m mixed up. I can afford two new set ups. My simple question is how do I raise the humidity of I don’t use the humidifier? Please help. I have covers, screens to cover the tubs. If I don’ t use the steamer, what do I do. I have the basking light, and the heat lamp you recommended . What do I do to bring up the humidity? Other than buying another enclosed. What about the wooden tortoise houses?
Find a way to build a top for your enclosure. Something as air tight as possible. Some people use shower curtains or Plexi glass. Once the enclosure is sealed all you'll have to do is dump water into the substrate from time to time and you can ditch the humidifier.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Also, I live in Connecticut, it is very dry here. Please help

Everyone is trying to help. It can be very overwhelming and at times feels like you doing your best and that is not good enough - but that is not the case.
First of all calm yourself down.

Second:
What needs to be done.
Two enclosures- yes closed chambers are recommended and they will make your life easier in the long run. I am no expert but I see how my tortoise behaves in high humidity vs dry.

So ask yourself first what can be done now and short term while you working on the better permanent solution.

One of the easiest things to do is do a hone depot run get two biggest plastic storage bins available. Cut some hole out for lights, spray the enclosure etc.

Next look online, forum, ask people what is the permanent solution - or long term - I don’t think there is a permanent solution with a tortoise ??

I am new to raising a baby tort and I am learning as well.
This plastic greenhouse was my 5 days solution. 38571E83-BBA9-4418-87C4-C8B4EA4B8B93.jpeg

This is my temporary (probably 1year) solution.
72048B54-7876-4F43-B5F7-06B80241D5E9.jpeg

There are many options floating around.
My tortoise not a fan of wet substrate so I hang a wet cloth inside which I let drip slowly and everything gets nice I wet pretty evenly.
Hope this helps a little.

Kothy

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Connecticut
IMG_0680.jpgOKIMG_0681.jpgOk, I listened and had two pieces of plexy glass cut for me to fit over the tubs, then cut holes for the heater bulb, Humidity went up to 85% in 10 minutes. All I will have to is spray water every morning, on the substrate, while I have the baby's having there morning soak. No more steamer.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
View attachment 306011OKView attachment 306013Ok, I listened and had two pieces of plexy glass cut for me to fit over the tubs, then cut holes for the heater bulb, Humidity went up to 85% in 10 minutes. All I will have to is spray water every morning, on the substrate, while I have the baby's having there morning soak. No more steamer.
You shouldn't even have to mist. Try dumping a good bit of water directly into the substrate. The humidity should stay high for awhile after that. You might have to do it maybe weekly at most.