Substrate Inside Hide Box

AMA904

What's the best or suggested substrates for inside an outdoor hide box? The purpose being to keep the tortoise cool in the heat and warm when it's cooler outside. This will be for a Hermann.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I kept plain dirt in my outdoor Russian hides. I currently use plain dirt in all the CDT hides (my own and the fosters). But I use coco coir in the heated Leopard house.

I've used hay in the past with Leopards and Russians. Didn't like it. It was too drying and would mold if it got wet from watering.

AMA904

Would sphagnum moss work? Or would that not any cool or warmth for the tortoise?

M

Maggie Cummings

fine grade orchid bark or aspen shavings or coir and sand.

AMA904

fine grade orchid bark or aspen shavings or coir and sand.

If I use the aspen shavings, is there a depth where it's too much or should I just fill it pretty deep? The hide box is going to be pretty big.

M

Maggie Cummings

After thinking about it a bunch, I wouldn't use any substrate inside an outside hide. I'm just not sure that's necessary. An inside hide yes, but outside, I'm thinkin not so much. I personally don't use any in my outside pens, but with the exception of Bob, all my tortoises come in at night because I have 'coons and they eat torts. I know HermanniChris uses aspen shavings. You might just think about a bit of hay for him to cuddle in, glad you're going with the Hermanni, I don't think you will be disappointed. I'd also think about getting your Hermanni from Chris. Here's a link to his care sheet. I think that will help you too.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet.63799/

AMA904

After thinking about it a bunch, I wouldn't use any substrate inside an outside hide. I'm just not sure that's necessary. An inside hide yes, but outside, I'm thinkin not so much. I personally don't use any in my outside pens, but with the exception of Bob, all my tortoises come in at night because I have 'coons and they eat torts. I know HermanniChris uses aspen shavings. You might just think about a bit of hay for him to cuddle in, glad you're going with the Hermanni, I don't think you will be disappointed. I'd also think about getting your Hermanni from Chris. Here's a link to his care sheet. I think that will help you too.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet.63799/

Timothy hay? Or a different kind of hay.

I did email Chris and plan to contact him again once we are ready to see what he has available.