Substrate Inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi Everyone!

I was wondering what exactly everyone prefers to use for a substrate? I know that different species have different needs, but is there something preferable?

Also, I see a lot of people are using Top Soil and the likes as a substrate. Is this just the stuff they sell in 1.5 cubic feet bags at Home Depot? If so is it the organic kind?

Let me know what everyone thinks!

Thanks!

Matt

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
For my part my Pardalis are in a substrate composate of :
50 % of coco fiber
50% of my garden ground

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I see, so is this just like dirt you dug out of your garden? And for the Coco Fiber do you just use like Exxo Terra or something on the lines of that?

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I use sphagnum moss and cypress mulch from lowes. I get a 35lb bag for 3.99 and the sphagnum moss is powdered out like coco core and i get a 40lb cube of it for 9 something. Just make sure it says 100% organic.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
I use coco fiber by Trixie.
For the garden ground i took it in a place of my garden wich is clean and i took off all the lil rock.

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I see. What species are you raising in this or are their multiple? Does this combo mold easily or at all even? Also, what size of enclosure are you using?

Thanks!

AustinASU said:
I use sphagnum moss and cypress mulch from lowes. I get a 35lb bag for 3.99 and the sphagnum moss is powdered out like coco core and i get a 40lb cube of it for 9 something. Just make sure it says 100% organic.

I understand. Sorry just learning how to use the site or I would have quoted you the first time! Thanks for your input.
Julius25 said:
For the garden ground i took it in a place of my garden wich is clean and i took off all the lil rock.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
LestatHIM said:
I see. What species are you raising in this or are their multiple? Does this combo mold easily or at all even? Also, what size of enclosure are you using?

Thanks!

AustinASU said:

I understand. Sorry just learning how to use the site or I would have quoted you the first time! Thanks for your input.
Julius25 said:

I have three Babcocki's (leopards) and they do well on it....coco fiber is okay...but you gotta keep it moist or they'll easily drag it into their food and become impacted.

Status
Not open for further replies.