Substrate in dry area of a Waterland tub for Spotted turtles

dprince

Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, CA
Hello!!

I have recently acquired a small Waterland tub for my sub adult spotted turtles, and would like to have a really nice, pretty, naturalistic dry side for them. What substrate would you suggest and why? What plants would you recommend both in the water and on the land? Any other suggestions? Thank you! :)
Waterland tub.jpg

dprince

Auburn, CA
This is a question for the spotted turtle man: @Markw84

Mark is awesome and always my go to for all turtle (and most tortoise) questions. I feel bad asking him all the time!! LOL. (He is also who I got my spotteds from. ;-) )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mark is awesome and always my go to for all turtle (and most tortoise) questions. I feel bad asking him all the time!! LOL. (He is also who I got my spotteds from. ;-) )
I love turtles, and spotted turtles have always been one of my favorites. I wish I had more time and more room at the inn, but no such luck. That being the case, I read these threads and learn what I can. Its great when Mark or any of our other experienced turtles keepers come along and lay down some knowledge. I just soak it all in.

I'm looking forward to whatever answers you get.

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
California
Land portion, use organic soil. Mix it with sand if your going to have some females. Or omit the sand as mixture.
Aquatic portion I use water hyacinth and Umbrella papyrus.

dprince

Auburn, CA
Land portion, use organic soil. Mix it with sand if your going to have some females. Or omit the sand as mixture.
Aquatic portion I use water hyacinth and Umbrella papyrus.

So like topsoil? Is there a brand that is okay? Much of it seems to be made with manure. :-(

dprince

Auburn, CA
I love turtles, and spotted turtles have always been one of my favorites. I wish I had more time and more room at the inn, but no such luck. That being the case, I read these threads and learn what I can. Its great when Mark or any of our other experienced turtles keepers come along and lay down some knowledge. I just soak it all in.

I'm looking forward to whatever answers you get.

That's why I figured I'd ask here, so it's information that others could share and learn from too. :) And that's how I feel about reading lots of the other threads about species I don't have. I really do love to learn and soak it all in. :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
On my land area I used Topsoil. Then on top of the Topsoil I used about a 1" layer of white play sand. This makes it so if you see Topsoil on the surface you know someone dug a nest in that spot.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Will topsoil clogs the filter ? I noticed my turtles constantly drag some substrate to the water area .

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
So like topsoil? Is there a brand that is okay? Much of it seems to be made with manure. :-(
I think when @Toddrickfl1 and @ZEROPILOT and I think of topsoil, we're thinking of the cheapest product you're going to find In the garden section of a Lowe's or Home Depot. No additives, no amendments, no manure, no compost.

Although with what @Tom has been saying lately about topsoil origins and compost, I may have to take a closer look at the label.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Will topsoil clogs the filter ? I noticed my turtles constantly drag some substrate to the water area .
I've heard of keepers whose turtles have both land and water areas in their enclosures using pieces the outdoor mats or tiles next to the water area, so the turtles sort of wipe their feet on the way to the water.

I think long grain sphagnum moss and orchid bark are easier to keep out of a filter than coco coir and topsoil. Either way, the filter still has to handle the turtle poop.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think when @Toddrickfl1 and @ZEROPILOT and I think of topsoil, we're thinking of the cheapest product you're going to find In the garden section of a Lowe's or Home Depot. No additives, no amendments, no manure, no compost.

Although with what @Tom has been saying lately about topsoil origins and compost, I may have to take a closer look at the label.
Tom correctly pointed out in the past that topsoil varies a lot from location to location.
I DO use the cheap, bagged Home Depot stuff. But it's local. And seems relatively pure.
I no longer use a closed chamber. My torts all live outside. But I had been using topsoil over Orchid bark.
It worked well for me.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Tom correctly pointed out in the past that topsoil varies a lot from location to location.
I DO use the cheap, bagged Home Depot stuff. But it's local. And seems relatively pure.
I no longer use a closed chamber. My torts all live outside. But I had been using topsoil over Orchid bark.
It worked well for me.
That makes sense. With topsoil, always consider the source. Local procedures and existing regulations should factor into the risk assessment, and there SHOULD always be a risk assessment going on in the buyer's head. Safer products with known ingredients typically carry less risk.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Debbie,

Is this indoors or outdoors? Outdoors, plants will grow much better and the spotteds will do great in our area outdoors. In fact most anywhere in the US!

I use topsoil mixed with some sand. I like a more sandy soil. I plant lots of creeping jenny and let it cover the area. The more it grows, the less dirt is dragged into the water! Even when older and nesting, spotted turtles burrow into the plants to dig into the soil beneath to lay eggs. If you remember my pond area, I have some society garlic. Does really well and creates nice large tufts the turtles love to hide in. You could also use a mondo grass as with spotteds you aren't worried about them eating it. (wouldn't work with a tortoise) The mondo grass stays much smaller than the society garlic.

Water hyacinth is a great water plant but I believe illegal to sell in your area. How's the water lettuce I gave you? that would do great in there as well. Parrot Feather is also a really nice water plant the spotteds love to hide in while in the water. Would do fine in your waterland.

And alocacia - elephant ear - is a good plant to just put in the water and let grow. It makes a nice water plant, can grow in water, and provides great shade. It is the large plant I have in the spotted turtle pond nearest you when you were standing on the upper patio. The spotteds love living in and around it. Helps remove nitrates from the water too. You can even cut some leaves off and feed to your tortoises!

Last edited:

dprince

Auburn, CA
Debbie,

Is this indoors or outdoors? Outdoors, plants will grow much better and the spotteds will do great in our area outdoors. In fact most anywhere in the US!

I use topsoil mixed with some sand. I like a more sandy soil. I plant lots of creeping jenny and let it cover the area. The more it grows, the less dirt is dragged into the water! Even when older and nesting, spotted turtles burrow into the plants to dig into the soil beneath to lay eggs. If you remember my pond area, I have some society garlic. Does really well and creates nice large tufts the turtles love to hide in. You could also use a mondo grass as with spotteds you aren't worried about them eating it. (wouldn't work with a tortoise) The mondo grass stays much smaller than the society garlic.

Water hyacinth is a great water plant but I believe illegal to sell in your area. How's the water lettuce I gave you? that would do great in there as well. Parrot Feather is also a really nice water plant the spotteds love to hide in while in the water. Would do fine in your waterland.

And alocacia - elephant ear - is a good plant to just put in the water and let grow. It makes a nice water plant, can grow in water, and provides great shade. It is the large plant I have in the spotted turtle pond nearest you when you were standing on the upper patio. The spotteds love living in and around it. Helps remove nitrates from the water too. You can even cut some leaves off and feed to your tortoises!

Thank you Mark! I went to Golden Pond in Loomis to get some ideas of different possible plants, then felt overwhelmed with choices! :-O I had your list that I wrote down at your house, and they had much of it (except for water hyacinth and water lettuce, which they deemed as "weeds.") :-( I didn't have elephant ear or society garlic written down, so I'll check their website for that.

Is there a specific brand of topsoil you recommend? The ones I was l looking at all seemed to have manure in them. Or is that okay?

And I'm looking at both indoors and outdoors. I think my guys are a bit small yet (for my comfort!) but already have their medium Waterland tub for next year! ;-)