Substrate for Outdoor Enclosure (with Garden): Plain Dirt OK?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
This outdoor enclosure for our male Russian tortoise (Steve) will double as a garden for his food, so we will put down plain (organic) dirt free from fertilizers.

I was wondering, before I purchase gardening supplies this weekend, if there are any other substrate materials that might be helpful. We live in Michigan so I would like to keep it dirt, as this would best tolerate the changing weather here. I don't want to worry about mold, and I would like to not have to change it often.

Also, any recommendations for "natural" fertilizers would be helpful as well. Are there any foods I shouldn't discard in my compost bin for future mulch? (I love spoiling my tortoise!) Thanks again, everyone!! :tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Plain dirt would be best. As for the compost, your not doing it in the torts pen are you?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Nope, the compost bin will be in the back of the yard, definitely outside of the tortoise pen!! Haha, thanks for asking; sorry I forgot to mention it! ;D

joyfulsunrise

This outdoor enclosure for our male Russian tortoise (Steve) will double as a garden for his food, so we will put down plain (organic) dirt free from fertilizers.

I was wondering, before I purchase gardening supplies this weekend, if there are any other substrate materials that might be helpful. We live in Michigan so I would like to keep it dirt, as this would best tolerate the changing weather here. I don't want to worry about mold, and I would like to not have to change it often.

Also, any recommendations for "natural" fertilizers would be helpful as well. Are there any foods I shouldn't discard in my compost bin for future mulch? (I love spoiling my tortoise!) Thanks again, everyone!! :tort:

joyfulsunrise

If you plan to purchase Organic soil please read the ingredients label first.
Organic sounds good but may contain fecal matter from various contributions.
This is one soil to avoid.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
If you plan to purchase Organic soil please read the ingredients label first.
Organic sounds good but may contain fecal matter from various contributions.
This is one soil to avoid.
Thanks for the tip!! I didn't see any ingredients from fecal matter, just plant mulch.