substrate choice for outside pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

sclirada

10 Year Member!
Hi! I am building an outside pen for my redfoot pair. I live in South Florida, so during the summer, they should do well outside. Unfortunately, my husband won't give up his lawn service, so keeping them on the grass will not be possible. I have to build a pen, on a concrete slab. ( tortoises won't be touching the slab) Of course, I will need a large amount of substrate , in deep layers, in the pen I am building with concrete walls, and a cover for protection. Any ideas of what the best choice would be for the substrate? I want to use some soil, so I can plant in the pen. Any input/ ideas for the enclosure would be much appreciated!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
sclirada said:
Hi! I am building an outside pen for my redfoot pair. I live in South Florida, so during the summer, they should do well outside. Unfortunately, my husband won't give up his lawn service, so keeping them on the grass will not be possible. I have to build a pen, on a concrete slab. ( tortoises won't be touching the slab) Of course, I will need a large amount of substrate , in deep layers, in the pen I am building with concrete walls, and a cover for protection. Any ideas of what the best choice would be for the substrate? I want to use some soil, so I can plant in the pen. Any input/ ideas for the enclosure would be much appreciated!

I would fill it about a foot deep with the same soil you plan to plant your Hibiscus althea in.. which is a plant of choice for your redfoots; they are prolific as you know and the leaves and blooms are high in rich calcium -- like manna -- an automatic feeding system.

Be sure to provide a totally shaded area for their hide. I'm amazed you can't find 100% cypress in FL.. that's where what I use comes from. You may have to keep looking.. you'll find it. It retains moisture well and resists bugs, etc.

Keep us posted...

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.