Subspecies mixing

Emmykitty111

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hello again. Just a quick question. I have read in a lot of places that it is not ideal to mix different species of tortoises, but what about subspecies? And could 2 male Greeks potentially be happy in a shared space or even more than 2? I am currently looking for only 1 new addition, but in the future I may want more if they can be housed together. I just want to avoid mating leading to unexpected new additions. If I do get a female, is there a way to prevent mating if I do end up getting the same subspecies?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
There's no way to stop mating unless you keep the in separate enclosures. Tortoises should not be kept in pairs, some species (like Redfoots) do well in a heard (like one male to every 3-4 females) but never in pairs. 2 males almost never get along unless you have a very large enclosure where they can each have SPACE. I'm not sure how well Greeks do in groups.

Emmykitty111

USA
Thanks, I'll be sure to get a separate enclosure when I decide to add a new addition. I appreciate the info :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Greeks are best kept separate.
Males fight and they all compete for food, basking spots etc. and stress each other out.
Larger groups may be ok, if there is enough space, but pairs, no.
Cross breeding is not a good idea either, in my opinion.