Stupid questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
I have two very stupid questions. So forgive me lol.

Would putting my larger sulcata in the bed of a truck to take him to the vet be wrong? How do you guys transport larger torts? He technically fits in my backseat, but not with my son in his carseat back there. So do I need to find a babysitter? lol

Also, I know their shells are porous to a point. Is writing on them in Sharpie a bad thing? I'm so paranoid about an escapee I just want to write like my phone number on there in case he decides to escape and succeeds (he was found as a stray).

Again, forgive the stupidity but someone has to ask them lol. Thanks in advance!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You may need to put an enclosure in the back of the truck to keep him from trying to climb out while moving. Also make sure the wind caused by highway speeds are blocked from the tortoise.

It may depend on how far and what roads you need to drive.

Expect to need to clean poop from wherever he is transported.

Good luck.

abclements

5 Year Member
If you're not going very far, just put him in the bed of the truck, if you have to travel a ways, I would buy one of those 55 gallon Rubbermaid totes and put him in that. Pretty similar to shipping him...

And if you search for "walking rock" you'll notice that he has a little dog tag super glued to his front schute that has name and phone number engraved. As long as you get it in the middle and don't get any growing parts of his shell, he should be fine!

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
It's about 10 miles of 30-40 mph or neighborhood roads. So nothing like highway speeds or any of that. I'll try to find a tote big enough for him lol. ]

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I use large cement mixing tubs to transport mine, but watch the temperature. I use a large air conditioned van, so mine aren't in the sun. 10 minutes in full summer sun in the bed of a truck is enough to overheat a tortoise.

Bring a hose so you can rinse all the poop off of the tortoise and out of your tub. If you don't, it will be a disgusting mess in the vet's office.

Why is he going to the vet? Often they can just check a stool sample for parasites.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I use large cement mixing tubs to transport mine, but watch the temperature. I use a large air conditioned van, so mine aren't in the sun. 10 minutes in full summer sun is enough to over heat one.

Bring a hose so you can rinse all the poop off of the tortoise and out of your tub. If you don't it will be a disgusting mess in the vets office.

Why is he going to the vet? Often they can just check a still sample for parasites.

He's new to the rescue I am fostering for and he really needs a beak trim and a general exam since his owners never came for him. None of the exotic vets around here do house calls. I can read his fecal (I'm a vet tech- we just aren't an exotic vet so none of the docs know dosages for the dewormers)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I transport my tortoises in the back of the truck all the time. I have a thick rubber mat on the bed, so it's not too hot on their feet. They can't climb out, however my truck is a full size pick up. I don't know if they can climb out of a smaller truck.

If the tortoise is big enough, you can put one of your return address labels in the center of a scute and paint clear nail polish over it. Just be careful to not get the polish on the new growth.

yazzy1012

5 Year Member
The way I transport my large sulcata is in the bed of my truck. Usually will wrap them in a heavy duty thick blanket to make it easier for the two of us to lift him into the truck. I will then spread the blanket down on the bottom of the bed of the truck. This keeps a barrier between the truck bed liner and the tortoise because a black liner is constantly sucking in that summer heat. Too bad none of them do house calls.

Lannen

5 Year Member
I put Master in a large tub and throw a couple of towels over him. He loves that, stays put and get's a little peeved at me when I take the towels off.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info guys! This should be an interesting trip regardless lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
I will try and remember to bring my camera since my phone is dead. Like I need a new phone dead. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.