straw as an insulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Arkansas
Would it be a good idea to cover my boxie pen with straw? We have been darn right chilly here, but the boxies are still out. I was just wondering if straw would help. If not, what would you recommend?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I use leaves and/or pine needles for hibernacula with my box turtles.
Not sure about straw, though it might work. :D

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use the spillage from feeding the horses (alfalfa hay), which I would assume would be similar to straw. I think straw would be ok.

Yvonne

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
I've never had my boxies hibernate before so this is all new to me. I am going to have them go under in their pen. My dirt level is 18" and I have about 4" of mulch on top. That is why I was thinking about adding hay or straw over all that to help too. We can and do get to about 0 degrees once inawhile, so I just want them to be protected.

Would it be a good idea to cover their pen with a tarp or anything like that?

Thanks guys!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A plastic covering might act like a green house, making it too warm if the sun shines on it. Just leave it open, but pile up the mulch, garden trash and straw. But be sure the mulch doesn't come to the fence and make it easy for them to climb out.

Yvonne

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
emysemys said:
A plastic covering might act like a green house, making it too warm if the sun shines on it. Just leave it open, but pile up the mulch, garden trash and straw. But be sure the mulch doesn't come to the fence and make it easy for them to climb out.

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne, I did not even think about the green house effect. Glad I asked. I will have to wait for the trees to turn to get leaves, but I will pile them on.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.