starve day?

natalienbk

Location (City and/or State)
TELFORD
I was told when i got my tortoise (nessie) three weeks ago that she should have a strave day, so once a week i shouldnt feed her is this right?
she is fussy and doesnt eat every day even tho the food is there if she wants, so should she have strave day or just leave her to choise? help please :) thank you

Sa Ga

MN
I was told that too. I tried it a few times with Morla, though she eats every day when offered.

I don't think it did her any favors though. She seemed very sluggish and though sometimes it did seem to "clear out" her system (ie-huge poo that following day), just as often, she would not, and then she'd sometimes get irregular (less or no poo for the next day).

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've always used "full feed" on all my animals. Even rabbits that are notorious for overeating. I do make sure they have fresh and clean, food and water everyday. But I also make sure it's the right food and the same time everyday. It's funny because I can feel in my bones when my tortoise is going to eat good but I still put out breakfast. If he eats all of that I put out more. I don't want him to want a snack and waltz up to an empty food tile.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would say, in the wild torts don’t take a day off from grazing. That‘s pretty much what they do from sun up to sun down, graze sleep snooze eat graze sleep eat roam hide. Wake up rinse & repeat. I’m pretty sure no tort sleeps in & takes the day off & ”starves” itself. They move graze hide & move on.

Sa Ga

MN
There isn’t any proven benefit to a starve day. Tortoises can go a long time without food in the wild but that doesn’t mean they should.
Exactly....just bc they can survive it doesn't mean they should HAVE to. And corollary to that: just bc they DON'T get it in the wild doesn't mean they SHOULDN'T once in a domestic setting if it provides benefit or further comfort to them. (I don't think Morla gets too much coconut coir in Afghanistan...but even grabbing dirt from outdoors (nature) can pose pathogenic and parasite risks I can circumvent by using that.)

Sa Ga

MN
I would say, in the wild torts don’t take a day off from grazing. That‘s pretty much what they do from sun up to sun down, graze sleep snooze eat graze sleep eat roam hide. Wake up rinse & repeat. I’m pretty sure no tort sleeps in & takes the day off & ”starves” itself. They move graze hide & move on.
Although the trendy torts may fast to keep up their girlish figures... ?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
My health has taken a hit this last year. So sometimes I can usually forgive myself when I forget to feed Arty for one day. Because I never stick to the "starving day" schedule even though I too was told something similar when I first received her! Her feeding schedule is on a little poster I made for my tortoise room wall. But I still never do the " no food day" suggestion.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Exactly....just bc they can survive it doesn't mean they should HAVE to. And corollary to that: just bc they DON'T get it in the wild doesn't mean they SHOULDN'T once in a domestic setting if it provides benefit or further comfort to them. (I don't think Morla gets too much coconut coir in Afghanistan...but even grabbing dirt from outdoors (nature) can pose pathogenic and parasite risks I can circumvent by using that.)
Yes! If they are able to get everything they need in the wild, WHY are so many going extinct? They need us to improve their lives.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
They are going extinct because of deforestation, loss of habitat, capture for the pet trade. In the wild they are opportunistic eaters, graze, eat a dead lizard, eat poop. It's for that reason that I didn't feed my box turtles or Sulcata daily. Bob was the easiest going tortoise but he would get very aggressive and sleep more when I didn't feed him daily. My box turtles got fed about 3 times a weak and they were unhealthy and thin so I started feeding everyday and I simply don't have feeding problems. I don't care whether they eat or not, I still offer it daily...I was in my backyard in California watching my 3 legged female desert tortoise, Mildred. She very casually walked across her space and grabbed a blue belly lizard off the fence about 8 inches long and ate it all....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They are going extinct because of deforestation, loss of habitat, capture for the pet trade. In the wild they are opportunistic eaters, graze, eat a dead lizard, eat poop. It's for that reason that I didn't feed my box turtles or Sulcata daily. Bob was the easiest going tortoise but he would get very aggressive and sleep more when I didn't feed him daily. My box turtles got fed about 3 times a weak and they were unhealthy and thin so I started feeding everyday and I simply don't have feeding problems. I don't care whether they eat or not, I still offer it daily...I was in my backyard in California watching my 3 legged female desert tortoise, Mildred. She very casually walked across her space and grabbed a blue belly lizard off the fence about 8 inches long and ate it all....
True.
Tortoises that have outdoors enclosures don't go without eating if they aren't fed for a day of two.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
My torts miss a day eating every once in a while... not planned but it doesn't seem to hurt them at all.

Jamie

Sa Ga

MN
Yes! If they are able to get everything they need in the wild, WHY are so many going extinct? They need us to improve their lives.
Well, humans are a paradox... We are causing the damage that directly endangers their numbers. Yet, with correct care, we can prevent the pitfalls that claim their lives in the wild and extend the survival of those individuals we have in our homes as pets.

I do wonder though... ? Given the hoardes of well-meaning but misinformed owners out there--let alone the...uninspired (ie: lazy or willfully negligent), careless (unprepared or unwilling to do the right thing in the face of what they'd prefer), or whimsy (want it today, bored w/ it tomorrow) of the masses....how many torts truly benefit from human presence or even involvement? Given that they've lived fine over all for millions of years without problems bf us, and now considering how briefly humans have been here and how many are now dwindling....I don't think the data supports humans as tortie (or any animal!) heroes. ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well, humans are a paradox... We are causing the damage that directly endangers their numbers. Yet, with correct care, we can prevent the pitfalls that claim their lives in the wild and extend the survival of those individuals we have in our homes as pets.

I do wonder though... ? Given the hoardes of well-meaning but misinformed owners out there--let alone the...uninspired (ie: lazy or willfully negligent), careless (unprepared or unwilling to do the right thing in the face of what they'd prefer), or whimsy (want it today, bored w/ it tomorrow) of the masses....how many torts truly benefit from human presence or even involvement? Given that they've lived fine over all for millions of years without problems bf us, and now considering how briefly humans have been here and how many are now dwindling....I don't think the data supports humans as tortie (or any animal!) heroes. ?
Damn that's sad...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

I think there is a lot of dedicated people trying to help animals but they are so outnumbered. And really animals haven't had the problems surviving that they are facing today until the past 100+ years. The only thing that will help is to keep trying to raise awareness one person at a time.

Sa Ga

MN
I think there is a lot of dedicated people trying to help animals but they are so outnumbered. And really animals haven't had the problems surviving that they are facing today until the past 100+ years. The only thing that will help is to keep trying to raise awareness one person at a time.
So true! You nay not reach 'em all, but each one you do save is of immense worth!

Of course there are plenty of dedicated, devoted, and responsible pet owners, and they really really make me ? because they are a rare gem! I was just saying that we (humans) generally are a paradox because many of our heroic measures taken for animals are to try to undo the results of our actions, whether it be at a macro level (environment, pet trade, etc.) or more individualistic (taking on one for our own fancy and for whatever reason, cause it more harm than good.

Last edited:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Our tortoise is a great joy in our life but I’ll never feel okay with the fact that she was “harvested” from her home, the single place her body has adopted to. I would never have intentionally purchased her and if we hadn’t had proper housing for her I would have given her up. But here she is and we do the best we can.

I still think about other tortoises facing extinction due to the actions of man. There is a small way I can help and that is through donation. There are plenty of tortoise organizations you can support, both near and far. We look for organizations that focus on protected endangered species. It’s not much but it allows me to feel we’re actively helping tortoises. For sure tortoises have starve days if they don’t have land to graze on.