Strange Whitish Skin on Top of Back Legs Eastern Box Turtle???

Elizabeth Massari

Happy New Everyone-
Hope you are all doing well!:) I have another question I'm hoping all of you experts can help me with. If you recall on my last couple postings......I was having difficulty this year w/getting my Eastern Box Turtle to hibernate. She is almost 10yrs old, I've had her since she was a baby. She has ALWAYS (thank the GOOD LORD) been very healthy and every year went into hibernation on her own. I can tell when she's getting ready, because she stops eating and gets lethargic. At that time.....I prepare her new hibernation media, that has always worked. I give her 20 min. soaks every day etc. Anyway, for some strange reason......this year. she wouldn't go into full hibernation. However, she stopped eating and was still lethargic. She was in like a limbo in between? Thanks to one of your members.....they suggested I start keeping more light/heat on her and try to trick her into thinking it was summer.....so I could at least get her eating again! Well, it took about a couple weeks, but she finally started eating again!
BTW-thanks so very much for your help!!!
She appears very healthy and is starting to eat good again (including all her vitamins, calcium etc.) However, I noticed she wasn't soaking on her own as much as she usually does. So I started giving her 20min soaks in warm water again.....that she seems to very much enjoy! But during her most recent soak....when she stretched out her back legs.... ALL the way, I noticed something strange all the way at the top of her back legs, up under the shell. To me, it appeared to be very lose, baggy, almost atrophy skin??? She still isn't up to her normal climbing and exercise routines. My husband makes her really cute houses that she uses to sleep in and she also loves to climb them! LOL (BTW-he sells them too.....if anyone is interested in purchasing one!:) )
My husband is concerned that this problem could possibly be some type of fungus?? I tried,as hard as I could, to get a good pic of what I'm talking about. However, that didn't go very well. I did upload a few pics of her though. If anyone has any idea what this could be and how to fix it......I would be.....once AGAIN, FOREVER in your DEBT!!! I will try to get some better pics tomorrow w/my husbands help. But until then, I am hoping someone might be able to give me some ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!!! You guys are the BEST!:)
Gratefully Yours-
Beth & Precious

DSCF1222.JPG DSCF1226.JPG DSCF1229.JPG DSCF1223.JPG DSCF1234.JPG DSCF1230.JPG DSCF1220.JPG DSCF1247.JPG DSCF1246.JPG DSCF1247.JPG DSCF1242.JPG DSCF1250.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The little stinker. Maybe have your camera ready next time you soak her.

Elizabeth Massari

The little stinker. Maybe have your camera ready next time you soak her.
She is a little sinker!!! It was almost like she KNEW I wanted a good pic of her BACK leg! Did you notice....she had NO problem showing off her FRONT legs!!! LOL She is a VERY smart turtle!!!