strange noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_red_tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
So during the night for a couple weeks now I have been hearing clicking noises from my redfoot's house. I couldnt figure out what the heck it was. I checked all of the lights and other things around his house, but found nothing...until today. I saw him trying to bite his own shell and it made that noise. Is this normal at all? I am not 100% positive that it was the noise, but its the only time I have heard the noise and actually witnessed an action accompanied with it. So ya...Any advice?

Thanks.

SFCMARK

5 Year Member
Northville Michigan
You may want to investigate this more carefully. I have seen some Torts that have growth defects in their beak area When they open and shut their mouth, the upper and lower jaw make a clicking sound. A Sulcata that I rescued had this problem, and it actually had to go to the Vet and have its beak ground and re-shaped a bit. It was so severe that he could not eat properly. He had a bad under bite, and could not bite off the food. He kept trying to just take in what he could and swallow that, and kept choking because he could not bite off the right amouint for him to swallow properly. This Tortoise was in REAL bad shape when I got it. It was actually turned loose in Downtown Ann Arbor Michigan! It was found walking the streets. The previous owner obviously did not know anything about Sulcatas.

Try feeding your Redfoot something he really likes, so he will eat while you are watching. Try to see if his upper and lower jaws are making the clicking noise when he eats

pensal

5 Year Member
big_red_tortoise said:
So during the night for a couple weeks now I have been hearing clicking noises from my redfoot's house. I couldnt figure out what the heck it was. I checked all of the lights and other things around his house, but found nothing...until today. I saw him trying to bite his own shell and it made that noise. Is this normal at all? I am not 100% positive that it was the noise, but its the only time I have heard the noise and actually witnessed an action accompanied with it. So ya...Any advice?

Thanks.

you may need to carefully look at his jaws and everything. does the jaws has overgrown? if not then it may be a a sign of respiratory infection. better to check him to a vet. the first thing you need to do is increase the temperature until 85-87F and basking spot to 100F. also, decrease the humidity as well. that was just happened with my sulcata couple weeks ago and he got injected antibiotic for 2 weeks. during those 2 weeks, i gave him his favorite food so that he is more willing to eat because he has not been eating for 10 days at that time.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
big_red_tortoise said:

Thanks.

Forgive me for not knowing EXACTLY how you have 'Booger' set-up. How old is he and his size and what his diet has been. These could make a difference! Too dry.. too hot or cool [ they don't need a HOT basking spot - low to high 80's thru-out ].. too much light.. no fruit/animal protein in his diet - are all things that would work against his well being!

Has anything else 'unusual' happened with him? Redfoots are totally different than virtually every other tortoise commonly kept these days.. so what may have worked or needed for others could very well have absolutely nothing to do with redfoots. Chances are.. nothing is wrong with "Booger" - he's just acting like a redfoot. It amazes me what they do and the sounds that they have made.. over the past 10 years that I've kept them.

Let me know.

NERD

big_red_tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Florida
I have him in a house I constructed with sphagnum moss as the substrate. His temps say 85 most of the day and around 78-80 at night. His humidity is around 80% most of the time (I cant help that it tends to fluctuate but I try my best). He follows the feeding schedule that is outlined on your website redfoot nerd. I actually just measured him yesterday and he is exactly four inches and just turned a year old last week I believe.

I still cant figure it out, but I am not too worried. He eats just fine and does everything he normally does. The noise is only when he is sleeping and it isnt constant.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
big_red_tortoise said:
I have him in a house I constructed with sphagnum moss as the substrate. His temps say 85 most of the day and around 78-80 at night. His humidity is around 80% most of the time (I cant help that it tends to fluctuate but I try my best). He follows the feeding schedule that is outlined on your website redfoot nerd. I actually just measured him yesterday and he is exactly four inches and just turned a year old last week I believe.

I still cant figure it out, but I am not too worried. He eats just fine and does everything he normally does. The noise is only when he is sleeping and it isnt constant.

That's what I figured.. not to worry. Sounds like you would be better off with a heat emitter to keep the temps consistent instead of relying on [ what sounds like ] 'light' as a heat source?

Can you send me pics of Booger and his house you built for him please?

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.