Store bought Russian looks WAY older than they claim it to be

Julesoregon

Location (City and/or State)
Bend OR
Hey there,
I’m brand new to this forum and would really appreciate some guidance on my recent purchase. I made the mistake of believing the PetSmart employees that their Russian tortoises were a few months old. Because of the corona virus they weren’t letting people hold the animals (which is understandable) so I didn’t get a very good look at him before I got him home. I wanted to know if anyone could help me estimate age? And also, if he’s much older than expected, if I should go back to PetSmart and try to find out if he was in fact wild caught? I would really not want to support that. He’s very active and was very excited to eat some organic kale, dandelions from the yard and collards.
I already really like the dude, but am just feeling really guilty for potentially supporting a scam. Has anyone else purchases a tortoise form Petsmart which ended up being much older than they claimed?

Butterfly

NC
Your tortoise is indeed much older than just a few months old. I can't tell you weather or not he is wild caught, but I do know that when it comes to turtles and tortoises, Petsmart pretty much sells them as adults. One thing you'll hear a lot on this forum is that you shouldn't really trust what the pet store employees tell you because most of the time they honestly don't know.

Sa Ga

MN
He's definitely NOT a baby! Most likely he is wild-caught as well. However...

Besides being a cutie, he's far better off w/ u than at the store where the care is so wrong it makes me want to cry. Plus, having already bought him, the damage is done--i worked at a pet store, and once "inventory" (ie: tortie) was purchased, another one was ordered. If you bring him back, likely there will just be two sitting in crappy conditions.

Note: Russian torts are very rarely CB. Unless bought from a reputable breeder, assume they are WC....especially at a pet store.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That is indeed an adult wild caught Russian. There's really no way to tell the age.

jeneliza

burton michigan
Hey there,
I’m brand new to this forum and would really appreciate some guidance on my recent purchase. I made the mistake of believing the PetSmart employees that their Russian tortoises were a few months old. Because of the corona virus they weren’t letting people hold the animals (which is understandable) so I didn’t get a very good look at him before I got him home. I wanted to know if anyone could help me estimate age? And also, if he’s much older than expected, if I should go back to PetSmart and try to find out if he was in fact wild caught? I would really not want to support that. He’s very active and was very excited to eat some organic kale, dandelions from the yard and collards.
I already really like the dude, but am just feeling really guilty for potentially supporting a scam. Has anyone else purchases a tortoise form Petsmart which ended up being much older than they claimed?
okay. I know for a fact that they dont get wild tortiose, they use a breeder if there sick or get sick they have a room in back that they keep them. they do have a vet that they call in this very true, but because they dont hire experts to care for them, they go by the care sheets they use, most times there not the best or complete, however because of the law in us. they do not sell baby torts, i dont know why you where told this, i got my redfoot from petsmart, she was sick with shell rot and had worms, i was told she was a he, after the vet appt. i contacted them they offer me a replacement or money back, after i said i wanted to keep her,( i really liked her) they paid the vet bill, however i was never told she was a baby i was told she was anywhere bewteen 2-4 years old, because of the law ,they couldnt sell baby torts. shes now 10-11, petsmart does try to care for them, but lack of knowleage, and the overturn cause this to be a problem. as far as there care there feed fresh and pellet food, once a day, and water twice a day, and more if needed, there also held for 24 hours before being placed on the floor , and they dont place new ones with older ones in the store, i work for pet smart, but in gromming, not the store, now every store is abit diffent, because of the mangers etc, but the location i am at, the mangers or very hard on the petcare employees, about the care of the animals, this could be diffent at you location, i would guess yours is the same 2-4, years old , i never seen any young then this come in, what location did you buy him? because they should have told you he was at least 2, i bet they had him for a few months, and they belived he was a baby when he came in, lack of education ,

jeneliza

burton michigan
okay. I know for a fact that they dont get wild tortiose, they use a breeder if there sick or get sick they have a room in back that they keep them. they do have a vet that they call in this very true, but because they dont hire experts to care for them, they go by the care sheets they use, most times there not the best or complete, however because of the law in us. they do not sell baby torts, i dont know why you where told this, i got my redfoot from petsmart, she was sick with shell rot and had worms, i was told she was a he, after the vet appt. i contacted them they offer me a replacement or money back, after i said i wanted to keep her,( i really liked her) they paid the vet bill, however i was never told she was a baby i was told she was anywhere bewteen 2-4 years old, because of the law ,they couldnt sell baby torts. shes now 10-11, petsmart does try to care for them, but lack of knowleage, and the overturn cause this to be a problem. as far as there care there feed fresh and pellet food, once a day, and water twice a day, and more if needed, there also held for 24 hours before being placed on the floor , and they dont place new ones with older ones in the store, i work for pet smart, but in gromming, not the store, now every store is abit diffent, because of the mangers etc, but the location i am at, the mangers or very hard on the petcare employees, about the care of the animals, this could be diffent at you location, i would guess yours is the same 2-4, years old , i never seen any young then this come in, what location did you buy him? because they should have told you he was at least 2, i bet they had him for a few months, and they belived he was a baby when he came in, lack of education ,
also the petsmart i am at sells all of the shippment of them before they get more, your petsmart maybe different about this, my store manger is hard on the care of the animals, this why you see one in a space and other time two, because they came in at diffent times, but again most have very little education on there care, if you return him he will be place in back for a few days, and after hes found to be healthy, he will be reduced, and sold again,

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm afraid your mistaken. All PetSmart/Petcos sell wild caught imported Tortoises. They don't have "Breeders" mass producing Russian tortoises and growing them a few years past 4" for PetSmart in America. This is pretty well known.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I've worked at petsmart as well and was pet care before I moved to grooming, then left that horrible place 10 yrs ago, but the tortoises are without a doubt wild caught. They do say(atleast at mine) they dont sell babies, but they have no way to know how old an animal is. They get dropped off, they sign for it then it's not the other people's problem anymore.
The turn over rate is high, but the care sheets are also wrong, but they do try, I will say that.
There is no way someone would keep a tort that long just to make a few bucks at a pet store. Cost vs. Income wouldnt be worth it

jeneliza

burton michigan
they get them from reptiles by macks, which isnt pretty, which maybe hes importing them i dont know but peta has been all over this company, because of the condtions, i dont know about the one you worked at or how long ago, but petsmart isnt its own company anymore, its owned by chew.com, from the people who have worked there from the start have said there rules have changed, not say they dont mis care for the animals, or there not breeded in bad places. etc,

Last edited:

jeneliza

burton michigan
they get them from reptiles by macks, which isnt pretty, which maybe hes importing them i dont know but peta has been all over this company, because of the condtions, i dont know about the one you worked at or how long ago, but petsmart isnt its own company anymore, its owned by chew.com, from the people who have worked there from the start have said there rules have changed, not say they dont mis care for the animals, or there not breeded in bad places. etc,
and i been told that all stores are diffrent, i can only go by the one i work at, and the mangers at my store, and what they do, each store has different mangers etc, my store manger will hold sick animals in the back, and she does hold new ones for at least 24 hours, but as i said each has different mangers etc,

jeneliza

burton michigan
My guess is when the employee said the Russians were a few months old, she meant: "They've been here in the store for only a few months. Just like me!"
[/QUOTEover turn is high so they may not have known how long they where there, there education is very basic,

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I worked there 10 yrs ago and worked there for 3 years, but I have friends who are still managers there, and it seems to be pretty much the same she says. Not saying petsmart doesn't try at all! They definitely try to give the best care because the employees do have big hearts and love the animals, they just aren't given the right information.
All I am saying is that mack most likely imported them. He probably raises snakes and things like that because you can power feed them and get them bigger, quicker, but probably not tortoises from babys to at least 2. As a business(Instead of a caring breeder who has the tortoises best interestat heart) it doesn't make as much sense. Especially since you already said he's being watched already for bad practices...

But either way, I'm glad you have that new baby! He's so handsome and now he has a great home! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pet stores get their animals from wholesalers. Wholesalers get them from importers. Importers import wild caught animals. Here in the U.S. it's illegal for a pet store to sell a tortoise smaller than 4" SCL ( straight center line). There isn't a russian tortoise alive that reaches 4" before he's about four or so years of age. It isn't cost effective for breeders to hang onto their product for four years or more.

Julesoregon

Bend OR
I even tried to correct 2 employees saying “I think they’re about an inch and a half when they’re that age.” And then, I kid you not, one of the employees said “all I know is we get them when they’re old enough to leave their mom.” This girl thought reptiles are raised by their mothers. I was flabbergasted. I hate that I supported PetSmart and their importing practices, however this guy is going to have a really wonderful life here. Building him a nice outdoor enclosure today for when it warms up :)

jeneliza

burton michigan
That maybe true about Mack's, he's look to a shitty person, and sadly pet stores are not the best for buying animals from, however, it's lack of education not care, because I know the people who I work with, do most definitely care about the care, I don't work in pet care, I work in gromming, howe

jeneliza

burton michigan
That maybe true about Mack's, he's look to be a shitty person, and sadly pet stores are not the best for buying animals from, however, it's lack of education not care, because I know the people who I work with, do most definitely care about the care, I don't work in pet care, I work in gromming, however, the problem goes back to it being a large company, honestly I would prefer they not sell them, but because there going to, I would like to see them use a smaller breeder, that would be of better standers, or maybe multiple breeders, that would not take wild reptiles, for profits, again lack of education on this, big companies tend to take the word of the breeder where they get there animals, but on the bright side, when these animals get homes most times people do give them good homes, because there not cheap, I do wish the education was better, there not great, this true, a private breeder is always the best to buy from, I wish I choose a private breeder, but that being said, I own mine now for ten years, she's well cared for, and healthy, and has a great life, people who want these animals go there because they don't know where to get one, and if these places would get better breeders this problem would stop, but most times the people who work there, have no idea where they get them, or the supplier gets them, I don't think the pet store owner do either, because they don't research the supplier,