Stopped into some PetSmarts today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
And in each one was a container of Russian Tortoises with a single Hermann's, except one that had two!

Unfortunately, all these Hermann's were males and I need females, but next week I'll be in other parts of the D/FW "Metro-mess", where there's several other PetSmarts, so maybe I'll luck out!

Sadly, all but one was extremely dehydrated, but in all but one case I was able to explain to their "reptile experts" why tortoises need to get a good soaking 2-3X a week (one girl said "corporate instructions are to spray them once a week", to which I pointed out that if she only got a light spraying once a week, but never a chance to drink her fill, we'd be talking via a Ouija board...a waste of humor! :rolleyes: )

Wish me luck!

Interestingly, one appeared to be a Western Hermann's, while all the others were definitely Eastern (and one Dalmation).

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I went into PetSmart yesterday and saw a Hermann tort. Have no way to id sex. If I get the clerk to take her/him out, how can I tell? If I find a female, would you want me to PM you about it? Of course, I'll send pics too. I'm in Florida.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
sibi said:
I went into PetSmart yesterday and saw a Hermann tort. Have no way to id sex. If I get the clerk to take her/him out, how can I tell? If I find a female, would you want me to PM you about it? Of course, I'll send pics too. I'm in Florida.

If you took a clear cell-phone pic of it's tail, then post it or PM it to me, that'd help.

Real question is how I'd go about getting it to Texas, but I appreciate your thought. :cool:

gtiljen

5 Year Member
i wouldn't buy one from petsmart go to a reptile show you can probably get them way cheaper and healthier.

Sent from my C5170 using TortForum mobile app

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
gtiljen said:
i wouldn't buy one from petsmart go to a reptile show you can probably get them way cheaper and healthier.

Sent from my C5170 using TortForum mobile app

That would be my preference, but the reptiles shows we have here rarely have anything other than Russians and Red-eared Sliders...otoh, every morph of corn snake or ball python can be found!

However, another Tort Org member may be able to hook me up with a supplier...if he's successful, I'll likely name the new gal in his honor! :cool:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Send it over night via shipmyreptile.com I'll check tomorrow and pm you later.
Terry Allan Hall said:
sibi said:

If you took a clear cell-phone pic of it's tail, then post it or PM it to me, that'd help.

Real question is how I'd go about getting it to Texas, but I appreciate your thought. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.