Stomach Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
My tortoise betty had some poop while she was in a soak that unfolded into leaves. I had switched her from eating organic store bought food to food I got from my garden like squash leaves and flowers, hibiscus leaves and flowers, rose leaves and flowers, pepper leaves, lettuces, baby chard. I heard this could be a stomach issue. What kind of issue would cause her to have digestion problems?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Someone on here explained it a while back, but I have a bad habit of skimming and didn't retain it. But it was something to the effect that tortoises don't process their food so that it is totally digested. Grass usually comes out looking like grass, and leaves usually come out looking like leaves. I don't think you have anything to worry about, but you can always take a stool sample to the vet to check for parasites.

I'm pretty sure that pepper leaves, along with tomato leaves should not be fed. They're in the nightshade family and toxic.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have heard the same thing. Also, that the tomato leaves are on the bad list. Let us know how things go and that all is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.