Stocking a 10 gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
10 gallon freshwater tropical community? You could stock it with guppies, tetras, danios, and dwarf African clawed frogs. Remember that the rule of thumb is about 1 gallon of water to each inch of fish, so you could put about ten 1-inch fish in there, or about five 2-inch fish, etc. Of course, don't try sticking one 10-inch fish in a 10-gallon tank! :)

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I've seen a neat revision to the 1 inch rule. First, no fish whose adult length is greater than the shortest dimension of the tank. (Fish don't only grow to the size of their aquarium; if they don't go to their natural full length it is because they are being poisoned/damaged by waste/toxins in their water!) Second, use 1 cubic inch of fish per gallon. Makes sense to me, you can stock more 1 inch neons in a tank than you can 1 inch mollies because the neons actually take up less space.

codyv34

5 Year Member
I think a school smaller school of Zebra Danios would be good, they are a pretty hardy fish, and then many a couple shrimp for some added excitement, and some clean up help, depending on what your petsmart stocks.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
I'd go Guppies, If you take your time and are selective you can pick some nice ones at Petsmart, but it's hit or miss with the big chains.

Do a google search for Fancy Guppies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I've always been a fan of biotopes myself...of course, that leaves you rather limited for a 10-gallon. But I always encourage people to remember that while the fish are live animals to care for, they are but one part of the aquarium. Consider how you decorate the tank, and that can help you determine which fish to get as well. Some species simply compliment a particular or theme better than others. You want your fish to POP, to catch the eye.

Sorry, I used to be an aquarium maintenance technician!

Status
Not open for further replies.